LegacyGT.com

Flywheel

GT_Red

Hello,

I sifted through a lot of searches, and I just wanted to know if there is a light weight flywheel compatible with our stock clutches? I have to replace my clutch but honestly I do not need a heavy duty one, but I would like to get a lighter flywheel so I don't have to rev the engine so much just to pull through a parking lot.

I am going to get the LUK clutch kit offer by my pep boys, don't worry, there is a mechanic there I specifically ask for, he is good.

What are my options if any?

I was quoted $690 for the clutch, resurface the flywheel, and installation at Pep boys, and they are going to give me a 10% discount. I don't have any mods on the car, its fast enough for me.

The clutch they have is LUK, anyone know about it?

Thanks in advace ;)

Ah ha,

Found the exedy website...the FJK1001FW is for the Legacy, and the FJK1001 is for the 2006 WRX. That means it is compatible and only costs $268 and it says this:

Note: New Clutch Kit, SOLID FW REPL. FOR OEM DUAL MASS FW, SOLD AS KIT ONLY

Would that mean a single mass flywheel replacement for my dual mass? All this is on Amazon, and it does show the FJK1001 as compatible with the turbo legacy.

I ordered the FJK1001 for the WRX with the hopes that it comes with a single mass Flywheel, if its a dual mass, ok and oh well, but I checked on the website and the dimensions and specs of the two kits are identical. In any case, the WRX version with flywheel was only $266 as opposed to the FW which was $459, great deal if you ask me. Threw in some poly urethane shifter bushings in there for $18 and $7.99 next day shipping, thanks to amazon prime ;)

Total price for clutch replacement by Pep boys is $689 including clutch kit. Their clutch kit was same price as this exedy one and no flywheel, I just hope the kit I ordered will work.

You are having Pepboys install a clutch?

Holy crap, I've never heard anything so frightening.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Uhh... a lightweight flywheel will make you have to rev the engine MORE in a parking lot to get moving from a standstill.

IMO not a big deal, I've had a LWFW since late Jun 07.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the WXR single mass unit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

the exedy part number has to have fw in the part number for a flywheel to be included in the kit.

the one you ordered would not work with the legacys oem dual mass flywheel.

look into getting a smfw.

IMO not a big deal, I've had a LWFW since late Jun 07.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the WXR single mass unit.

Okay, but the point is that the OP said he wanted to get a LWFW to reduce the amount he has to rev. He's gonna be in for a rude awakening if he gets one with that expectation.

*edit* I was under the impression a lighter flywheel engages easier and therefore lighter when coasting at lower speeds?

I won't get a rude awakenging, it'll just be the same. The notes in the ad itself said it comes with a new flywheel. If it doesn't I will have to return it and just go with whatever the shop is willing to do for me. Get the LUK OE replacement one they are selling. What concerns me is they said they will outsource the resurfacing of the flywheel, and from what I understand it is either not possible or not reccomended.

This product fits your 2005 Subaru Legacy

Trim: GT

Engine: 2.5L H4 Gas DOHC Distributorless Turbocharged SFI Electronic FI MFI

Note: New Clutch Kit, SOLID FW REPL. FOR OEM DUAL MASS FW, SOLD AS KIT ONLY

Am I reading it wrong, or does it come with a FW or not? I will find out tomorrow when it arrives. I hope it does dual mass or single mass whatever, its a great deal if it has a FW.

Read the advantages and disadvantages:

http://www.autonest.org/modifications/pros-and-cons-of-a-lightweight-flywheel

HARDER TO TAKE OFF The lightweight flywheel also stores less energy than its heavier counterpart. A stock flywheel may be easier to take off from a standstill but the lightened flywheel needs to be revved a little higher than normal. This can make it harder for certain drivers.
And google or search here a bit more. The bottom line is that you'll have to rev more during engagement to get a smooth engagement due to reduced rotational inertia in the flywheel since it's lighter.

Nothing wrong with going for the single mass flywheel conversion. I have that. But if you go lightweight (14 lbs or so), you better know what you're getting into.

Why in the world haven't you done research?

The LUK OE one from Pepboys will definitely be crap. Exedy makes the stock clutch. OE replacements are innexpensive on e-bay, or through one of the supporting vendors on this board.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ok clutch came in, no flywheel. waka waka waka, jokes on me.

I bought the Exedy, if you would bother reading the posts. I am having them put it in, as there is a tech there that I trust. Now I have to source a flywheel fast or reuse my old one, or have them try to resurface it.

Ok, got the clutch and took it over to Subaru and the single mass flywheel worked with it. It lined up right, and they only charged me $280 for it. So all in all its going to be a decent deal. However Pep boys quoted me a package deal, so that price of $690 was with their clutch. After a bunch of haggling I got the price down so the total cost will but just under $1,000 for it all.

It took some convincing. Their list price was $420 LOL, but they gave me a car club discount, ect. Anyway I had to buy it because the dual mass didn't line up. The clutch was made for single mass, I just cross my fingers that I dont get a call tomorrow saying it wont line up.

You paid $1000 just for parts? *smacks own forehead*

Or that's with install?

*slaps your forehead for you*

NO! $1000 for everything including installation.

So, I bought the clutch kit $266, flywheel $280, Install $550 + -($1086).

Anyways, I am doing the single mass flywheel conversion, in case you were wondering without reading previous posts.

Archived