LegacyGT.com

Blown Engine after 54K Miles

Are you sure the dip stick was full and not empty. I definitely encountered an issue with my Volvo. I'd gotten the oil changed then started a long road trip. When I stopped for gas it seemed like it was empty or near empty. I added a quart of oil, next tank same thing. I took the car too a garage, I'd overfilled by 2+ qts.

The oil was almost perfectly clear and was actually above the full mark so you couldn't properly read the dipstick. I suspect the person who blew the engine by adding 4 qts did the same thing.

I checked the oil when the car was off, on level ground, and yes the dipstick was fully inserted. I always make sure my dipstick gets fully inserted when I check my gf's oil....LMAO!! Sorry....had to say that!! Anyways, I guess my question is this....If the oil was low, why didnt an indicator light come on in my instrument cluster?? I realize I'm now fucked and eating the cost on this whole thing....just curious as to why it happend. BTW....I would still buy another Subie!!!

I checked the oil when the car was off, on level ground, and yes the dipstick was fully inserted. I always make sure my dipstick gets fully inserted when I check my gf's oil....LMAO!! Sorry....had to say that!! Anyways, I guess my question is this....If the oil was low, why didnt an indicator light come on in my instrument cluster?? I realize I'm now fucked and eating the cost on this whole thing....just curious as to why it happend. BTW....I would still buy another Subie!!!

Was it immediately you checked the oil after the car was turned off or an hour later?

This is indeed very strange for Subaru NA engines to blow. I check the oil in my 3.0R quite regularly and it seems pretty constant in between the intervals of oil changes.

Just had a guy here locally blow his engine(...well started rod knock, which will result in a rebuild) in an 07 2.5i during a rallyx event last Saturday.

Was it immediately you checked the oil after the car was turned off or an hour later?

Yes!! Immediately...in fact, I was already pulling over when I heard the noise, of which, the ck eng light/oil psi light came on. I would say it was less than 1:30 mins when the oil was checked.

Yes!! Immediately...in fact, I was already pulling over when I heard the noise, of which, the ck eng light/oil psi light came on. I would say it was less than 1:30 mins when the oil was checked.

i believe you have to wait atleast 5-10mins before you can check the oil. says so in the manual too.

Archived