LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen Intake MOD

I've looked it up, and it seems like alot of problems from what people are saying to install an entire aftermarket CAI, and not much if any gains (on a NA 2.2L).

Has anyone here put on a pipe from the MAF to the TB and ditched the silencers and airbox on the TB?? Any noticeable power gains? Anywhere to get this piping w/ out cutting or modding? Thanks.

• I Donated
I slapped a cone filter right onto the MAF with a metal pipe going to the throttle body....it didn't make any difference besides sound

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Keep the airbox w/filter & then change the intake piping to whatever it is that you're going to use. If you can, use metal, like what Brok has done. Those cone filters before the MAF don't really do any justice but sucking hot air in, which is what you really want to avoid.

Keep the airbox w/filter & then change the intake piping to whatever it is that you're going to use. If you can, use metal, like what Brok has done. Those cone filters before the MAF don't really do any justice but sucking hot air in, which is what you really want to avoid.

Yea, that's the plan.

The airbox I was talking about replacing was the center one attached to the TB.

I heard if you put the cone on, it'll throw the MAF off.

I was looking for the metal piece w/ the sensor ports and everything, no luck.

And no one has really stated any gains or anything from doing this mod.

Yea, that's the plan.

The airbox I was talking about replacing was the center one attached to the TB.

I heard if you put the cone on, it'll throw the MAF off.

I was looking for the metal piece w/ the sensor ports and everything, no luck.

And no one has really stated any gains or anything from doing this mod.

Ah. The TQ box. Yeah, get rid of that thing. Turbulence in the air before it gets sucked into the engine is no good at all. I know that nothing will happen to the MAF if you do this properly & reconnect the vacuum hoses elsewhere in the intake. Also, gains really come from resetting the computer after modding. I felt my car's 'personality' become very lively after a tune up, intake, & exhaust mods at around 2500rpm. You can definitely tell that something has happened.

Use a older Impreza intake without the torque box, i think some of the older legacy had it too. Try to find pics later.
What year you talking? All the older style intakes on eBay have to use the stupid TQ Box (Imprezas and Legacys).

Also, gains really come from resetting the computer after modding.
Not to sound too stupid... but you mean retuning the computer or disconnecting the battery for 10mins to reset the codes???

Not to sound too stupid... but you mean retuning the computer or disconnecting the battery for 10mins to reset the codes???

Yeah. Let the computer adjust to the new parts. Then drive around for a bit. You'll feel it more when you start to get used to it again.

the 96 legacy had that intake too. i swaped it to my 97 and thottle response is the result.
Awesome!!! That's what I want! Vaccuum lines, ports and everything else is plug and play? No issues w/ the TB and MAF sizes?

I just purchased one off of eBay for $29.99... looks like what I want, no silencers or anyother BS.

Im just going to say that the $150 I spent on custom silicone tubing, clamps and a 4 inch K&N cone filter making a good looking and kick ass sounding intake is one of the best mods Ive done.

I personally noticed a difference in throttle response, especially at 3k RPM and higher. No more trying to suck air in through a mile of bent tubing and silencer tunnels. That shits for the birds!

If I get my mom a fozzy like Im planning, I will be doing the same intake setup on her fozzy as on my wagon. Its THAT noticable and I love the sound too.

My custom intake (JACs is similar to mine) provides much better throttle response over factory. I dont think throttle response gets enough credit. A cars track time is based on how fast it can change direction and speed. Throttle response plays a large part in changing the speed of your car. What if you had an intake that added 30hp but bogged down like crazy for the first 2 seconds of a drag race? What would be better?

Im not saying that would happen im just saying people dont appreciate it as much as they should. I personally believe my intake does add power similar or greater than ebay intakes.

However, a cone filter does cause voltage spiking of the MAF below 1800ish rpm. There have been well documented tests to prove it posted on other forums. The voltage spiking of the MAF causes it to think there is more air coming in than actually is. The result is the car running slightly rich below 1800rpm.

A solution to this may be to move the MAF further back in the intake ie closer to the throttle body. This is just a theory and I intend to test it one of these days.

Tyrael, some of the posts state that for whatever reason, the "snorkel" plays a part in the MAFs working as they should. I don't know. The reason for this thread was just to get rid of the stupid silencers and "tq box" and get the better throttle response. $30.00 was well spent.

I put this on last week and all I can say is: greatly improved throttle response, seems to run smoother, no cel, and definately no HP gains. I think the cold weather/ cold air makes it perform better than it will in the summer. After winter I'll try to use it with the stock filter box and a high flow filter. Overall I'm very happy with it especially only having spent $30 total. Had to buy a 3" to 3" adaptor to fit the MAF.

Archived