LegacyGT.com

rod knock

ej257 is the better block. 255 is 07+ LGT and WRX. 257 is STi ;)

Run some rotella and see if that helps at all but with it being that loud, it's got to be real bad.

You don't necessarily have to buy a new block though. You can have yours refinished and cleaned for half or less of the price of buying a new one. If it was me, I would buy a new one, but I have OCD or something. So it's whatever you choose. But you will need to buy new internals to go into it. When it is all apart, and the block is bad, yeah, order a new one.

Hope we have all helped you enough.

But first, remember to change the oil to the Rotella T6 5w40. I used a Bosch filter and its great. Has your filter been changed every oil change?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EJ255 and EJ257 are identical except for the pistons. If you're running high power/boost, you may very well want to consider forged pistons instead. If you are keeping the car mild (from the HTA68, I'm guessing you are not), you'd be fine with the EJ255 pistons.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/those-you-considering-aftermarket-forged-pistons-130635.html

Yes I understand that. I didnt know if the bore or diameter of the cylinders were still the same because a couple buddies and I had that question hence why I asked a qualified mechanic. Ive only rebuilt a 257 so I had no clue. Haha.

EJ257 has a semi-closed deck. EJ255 does not. yes the pistons are diff but the block on the ej257 is different as well. get the EJ257 like everyone stated, you can hold more boost, and if you get a fully built short block you can beat the piss out of it. thats gona cost you some coin though. either way that sounds like crap you got something coming losse in there, when i first started reading this i figured it was going to be something like valve tick or something but yea, your in for a rebuild if you wana hang onto it. sucks man.

EJ257 has a semi-closed deck. EJ255 does not. yes the pistons are diff but the block on the ej257 is different as well. get the EJ257 like everyone stated, you can hold more boost, and if you get a fully built short block you can beat the piss out of it. thats gona cost you some coin though. either way that sounds like crap you got something coming losse in there, when i first started reading this i figured it was going to be something like valve tick or something but yea, your in for a rebuild if you wana hang onto it. sucks man.

You are 100% incorrect sir. The block itself is the exact same part number for the EJ255 and EJ257, as are the rods and crank. The only different part number in the shortblock assembly is the pistons. This has been covered a thousand times on every Subaru forum, so please read before you continue spreading bad information.

You are 100% incorrect sir. The block itself is the exact same part number for the EJ255 and EJ257, as are the rods and crank. The only different part number in the shortblock assembly is the pistons. This has been covered a thousand times on every Subaru forum, so please read before you continue spreading bad information.

:lol: thats what I get for getting info from NASIOC. could of swore I did my fare share of research on it too. touché

So just did a little bit more reading real quick.. everyone is saying the 04-07 ej257 is the same as the 05-06 ej 255 with the exception of pistsons and some saying the manifold and topend (but were talking about the shortblock) whats changed on the ej257 to date compared to the 255 in the current models? still same diference?

Haven't bothered to go through all the part numbers, but as far as the shortblock, excluding pistons, I am not aware of any differences between the EJ255 and EJ257 for any years 04-09. There are tons of/very significant differences if you're referring to the EJ255 vs EJ257 longblock, but that's an entirely different discussion. There are definitely threads on this from people who know more than I do.

Archived