LegacyGT.com

questions on trans swap..5eat to ?.....

locolgt2.5

Sol im new to this site and the subaru world, i recently bought a Great 2005 legacy gt for really really really cheap, the blue kelly book value was over 13k and i got it for 8k from a friend of mine before it got re-poed, now the million dollar question is ive always owned manual cars and this is the first auto. Is there any other trans that is able to bolt on to the legacy 5 eat, like a 6 speed and arround how much would i be looking at to do, not myself but at a shop, im asuming it would be a lot of work involed to do this. or should i keep the auto and just upgrade it, would it be reliable for arround 400 whp? im new to this stuff and ive been reading alot and still havent found a good answer, thanks for the feed back...

The best thing you can do is ready in this forum and do the valve body upgrade that climberD had made.

From what I've heard, it's not possible to swap to a 5 or 6 speed and have everything work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^^ Is not impossible. You can do whatever you want and make it work. In the context of the OP's question, he is asking just a bolt on manual transmission. I am assuming he does not want to invest all the money associated in converting from auto to manual.

Just converting from the 5 speed to the 6 speed is lots of money and work. People here have done it, and it is in the thousands of dollars.

So let's say he wanted to go to a 6 speed. Hell since you are converting to a manual might as well go all the way out. You will need the transmission, differentials, drive shafts, axles, ecu/tcu/dash. Wiring harness, pedals, mights as well throw in a limited slip differential, possibly an aftermarket dccd, perfomance clutch, wrx variety flywheel (because the double mass one sucks) associated odd and ends like pedals, shifter, console, etc. And he wants a shop to do it. There will also be fabrication involved, and the possibility that it may never really work as good as stock.

So yeah, it is not possible, foolish, most lkely.

X

---

A civic esp the older ones that you are most likely talking about is much much simpler than these cars are. Unless its an SI, civics dont have any differentials, here we are talking about at least 2, everything is fairly manual in the civic, while pretty much everything is electronically controlled in the LGT etc etc. Sell the car and get one with a proper transmission if you are a guy like me that wont drive an A/T, you will save yourself months of trouble and frustration as well as a whole lotta money. Put all that money into a built motor lots of go fast bits, and you might as well find some way to bribe god while your at it so you can have a reliable 400whp LGT.

The Civic analogy is not a good one in terms of transmissions swaps. So many people have done it that there is tons of material to reference. I think it is easier to put a V8 into a civic, than a manual in a auto legacy! :lol:

On teh legacy just having to reprogram the keys as soon as you swap the dash is a big pain in the ass, and that is the easy part! :lol:

X

---

^^^ready that really makes me miss having a manual trans even more

It's good to clarify for the OP that way another thread isn't opend asking questions related to this thread. Essentially I can only see justifying the 5EAT to 5/6 MT swap if your current trans and diff exploded and the ECU fried all in the same day. Otherwise the valvebody mod is the best bet for the 5EAT if the trans is still holding up and in good condition.

A guy on this forum actually had a shop do the swap from a 5EAT to 5 Speed... and was told that it was around 10k for the swap and the shop took around 6 months I believe if not longer to finish it. So yes it very well is possible. The shop had to get a new wiring harness from a Manual car to properly do the swap. Prolly because of liability on their part. But it is possible..just way to expensive lol.

Why is that? Essentailly I'd think all you would need is all the 5/6 spd components, gauge cluster, and ECU to make it work

Contact Dave Brady at http://www.EnhancedStreetPerformance.com He did it to his car years ago. The only thing that doesn't work is the cruise control, if I remember right.

It wasn't an easy job. He had lots of stories about how difficult it was. I think he's the shop manager, so it's not like he didn't have everything he needed to do a swap.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The only thing the trans mount insert aka bushing has proven is to induce noise, vibration, harshness in the cabin.

I have one. I don't think it does anything unless you are talking BIG power to the point that the torque flexes the stock bushing so hard that it rips it or causes excessive slop in the drivetrain. If I didn't have to drop the downpipe, I would probably be taking my insert out.

Archived