LegacyGT.com

Has anyone made the hood scoop functional?

I have live date app on my tablet they gives me a read out for temp. The temp may of drooped a few degrees. But it runs from 170 to 180 while car is moving. No plate. This is a bs debate. Nothing ******* happens. And I have drove though 6 foot snow bank. Drove thought pit of mud. Its not like water only only comes though the scoop. The bottom of the bay is OPEN to the ground.

this :lol:

how can you talk about pressure in the engine bay? its not like were talking about a jet engine here. Its like driving a minivan with the side door open and arguing the fact that opening the drivers window a little bit will disrupt the airflow of the A/C :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are talking about making 2nd gen legacy hood scoops functional on what I would assume is his daily driver, not track cars.

explain what's functional about it?

best case scenario it provides no benefit

worst case it reduces cooling efficiency and reduces the lifespan of electrical components such as the ignitor and coilpack. If it was worth doing do you thing Subaru would have blocked it off?

best case scenario it provides no benefit

So YOU say. How many times do we have to go over this? Until theres scientific evidence stating its causing my car to overheat, Im going to say that it helps. Cause... well Ive noticed that it helps. End of story.

And ok, Subaru blocked it off... but... why make the scoop to begin with? Youre going off on tangents cause you want to argue.

Im done arguing this stupid ass point.

I unblocked mine, it works fine. No issues what so ever except for what I stated two pages ago that a little more dirt gets in there.

One last thing...

whats the difference between having my scoop open directing cooler air into the engine bay without a TMIC, and having a TMIC?

The air coming in still passes through the intercooler INTO the engine bay.... and that air is much warmer than the air I am allowing into my engine compartment.

Where on an EJ22 or an EJ25 can I find a distributor?

Hood scoop sits directly over the throttle body.

I've had 3 now with open hood scoops and collectively driven over 300k miles between them without any issues from water getting into the engine bay.

If you want to open up your scoop....go right ahead. Its not going to hurt anything. But at the same time, its not going to give you any kind of performance gain either. The only advantage of it is you can say you have a functional hood scoop...

On the other hand, there was some talk about a top mount intake to feed off the the open hood scoop on here awhile back. The idea kind of died...but that would be one advantage to having an open hood scoop if you did something like that. But then water in the intake and hydro locking would be a concern

Water in the intake could be combatted by something like a K&N pre filter, or outer wear pre filter screen. I had a fairly sizeable scoop on a S10 with a 350 running a dual quad carb set up, with ram air tray, and made sure to cover it. I did add a bit of a plate in the cut out so the water wouldnt get right on the filter/ram air tray

Yes. I think it's just a drain for the water.

Okay cool. But, I'm pretty sure my scoop is functional then. It feeds air to the master cylinder, which can get warm under heavy braking/heavy engine heat. In the AE86 world people use heat shields around their MC so that they don't get heatsoak. Makes sense to me. So I didn't need to make mine functional, it already was :D

• I Donated
putting on an fmic and leaving the scoop actually makes this much more of a problem because the fmic is heating and slowing the air coming into the radiator. I've had to block off the hood scoop on a couple of track cars because of overheating problems. airflow through the radiator is determined by the pressure difference across it. the higher the differential (i.e. the lower the pressure in the engine bay), the more airflow you get and the more efficient the cooling system.

will you have a problem with your 165hp outback driving down the highway? of course not. but on the turbo cars, especially when they're modified and driven hard, it's a legitimate concern.

and btw, those BIG ASS FANS don't ever turn on above 43mph.

I didn't have any problems with my VIS hood and FMIC. It had a big scoop AND a big open vent towards the front that you can see if you look carefully.

VERY highly modified car....and it was driven very hard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/95LegacySTI/216364_10150160299413326_605068325_6594960_1759877_n.jpg

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I didn't have any problems with my VIS hood and FMIC. It had a big scoop AND a big open vent towards the front that you can see if you look carefully.

VERY highly modified car....and it was driven very hard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/95LegacySTI/216364_10150160299413326_605068325_6594960_1759877_n.jpg

the vent there is a good thing and is probably helping.

you say highly modified and driven hard. does this mean 300+whp and track days? This is where you start to run into problems.

Like I said multiple times, hood scoop most likely won't hurt anything but is pointless. At higher power levels it is detrimental.

I know I might seem like another random guy on the internet but I do actually know little bit about these things.

Archived