LegacyGT.com

Has anyone made the hood scoop functional?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
Do a search on here. There's a thread with pics of it. Can't remeber if it was really usefull or not.

It was never actually made because of difficulties from the mass air flow sensor. Nobody could figure it out. I have something designed, I've just never had a chance to make it yet.

Would a scoop off a forester or something like that fit on a legacy?

Nope

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

We can argue this point back and forth all day long "it works" "it doesnt work" but the bottom line is YES I have made mine operational and I feel it made a difference but thats because I have a custom intake and not the 10 mile long snorkus that comes stock.

So, OP to answer your question: Yes, I have and I like it better than it being closed off.

• 2 months later...
We can argue this point back and forth all day long "it works" "it doesnt work" but the bottom line is YES I have made mine operational and I feel it made a difference but thats because I have a custom intake and not the 10 mile long snorkus that comes stock.

So, OP to answer your question: Yes, I have and I like it better than it being closed off.

JAC - do you have pics of your custom air intake?

And, with our cars, having an open, non-functional hood scoop that's actually built into the hood by Subaru itself looks a lot better than all the ridiculous hood scoops people buy from the advance auto, that get glued on by god knows what and then painted with spray paint from walmart...

I have a '97 2.5GT with a factory scoop. I removed the mild steel plate under the hood to make the scoop bit functional, no pros or cons for I can't find a good intake, but no rain gets in or much dirt that affects performance... That plate does weigh a pound or 2 however.

• 3 weeks later...
the story I heard was that the first couple years of n/a cars with a scoop didn't have a plate, and caused some electrical problems because the distributor and ignitor are both right there under it.

Plus, if you are packing air in through the scoop, it builds up pressure in the engine bay and reduces airflow through the radiator.

Good point about building up pressure in the engine compartment.

Still, there's gotta be a reasonable way to make that scoop a little bit more useful. :)

we went over this.... and its getting annoying.

take the plate off and its more useful. If you think that it seriously will prevent air from moving through the radiator... I cant help you. theres no chance of that whatsoever.

Take for instance an 04 STi with big ass hood scoop. guy replaces the TMIC for a FMIC.

You seriously think that hes going to have overheating problems because the hood scoop catches cooler air and directs it into the engine bay? I think with as many WRX and STi's that are running FMIC's we mightve heard SOMETHING about this "back pressure in the engine bay" theory. Not to mention the two BIG ASS FANS THAT MOVE AIR THROUGH THE RADIATOR!!!

therefore, until someone shows PROOF that theres even a SLIGHT decrease in cooling efficiency then this issue is resolved.

I have live date app on my tablet they gives me a read out for temp. The temp may of drooped a few degrees. But it runs from 170 to 180 while car is moving. No plate. This is a bs debate. Nothing ******* happens. And I have drove though 6 foot snow bank. Drove thought pit of mud. Its not like water only only comes though the scoop. The bottom of the bay is OPEN to the ground.

we went over this.... and its getting annoying.

take the plate off and its more useful. If you think that it seriously will prevent air from moving through the radiator... I cant help you. theres no chance of that whatsoever.

Take for instance an 04 STi with big ass hood scoop. guy replaces the TMIC for a FMIC.

You seriously think that hes going to have overheating problems because the hood scoop catches cooler air and directs it into the engine bay? I think with as many WRX and STi's that are running FMIC's we mightve heard SOMETHING about this "back pressure in the engine bay" theory. Not to mention the two BIG ASS FANS THAT MOVE AIR THROUGH THE RADIATOR!!!

therefore, until someone shows PROOF that theres even a SLIGHT decrease in cooling efficiency then this issue is resolved.

putting on an fmic and leaving the scoop actually makes this much more of a problem because the fmic is heating and slowing the air coming into the radiator. I've had to block off the hood scoop on a couple of track cars because of overheating problems. airflow through the radiator is determined by the pressure difference across it. the higher the differential (i.e. the lower the pressure in the engine bay), the more airflow you get and the more efficient the cooling system.

will you have a problem with your 165hp outback driving down the highway? of course not. but on the turbo cars, especially when they're modified and driven hard, it's a legitimate concern.

and btw, those BIG ASS FANS don't ever turn on above 43mph.

I've got I agree with Jamal here.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've had to block off the hood scoop on a couple of track cars because of overheating problems.

will you have a problem with your 165hp outback driving down the highway? of course not. but on the turbo cars, especially when they're modified and driven hard, it's a legitimate concern.

and btw, those BIG ASS FANS don't ever turn on above 43mph.

Track cars... your point is irrelevant because his car isnt one.

If I remembered correctly, the OP is driving a 98 Legacy GT which is pretty much that same thing I drive so therefore my point still stands.

Also, who needs the fans when you have 40+ MPH of wind hitting the front of the car??

You are basing your logic on cars that we dont own. We are talking about making 2nd gen legacy hood scoops functional on what I would assume is his daily driver, not track cars.

And furthermore, my buddy has an 05 STi thats pushing 350HP at the wheels with 350ftlbs as well. He too has a big FMIC and never has any issues.

Until you can show me a list of people who have documented proof that opening up your hood scoop makes your car run hotter I think its just a stupid argument.

You dont want to open yours up? dont.

I did, and it works just fine. And as for the OP, Im pretty sure his 98 GT will be just fine too.

Archived