LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Deck/Receiver or Tablet PC

jdawg81

So, I'm in the process of planning an upgrade to the stock system in my 05 LGT Wagon. Now, I know the deck/receiver install will be entirely custom, since Subaru didn't make it easy to install such aftermarket equipment. However, before I get to the actual install, I am at a crossroad. Do I use a tablet PC or aftermarket deck/receiver for control of the rest of my system.

I'm putting this on here to see if anyone has experience, or opinions, on either of these options.

I'll note that one of the reasons for going the aftermarket route, on the deck/receiver/player, is because the 6-Disc player has become rather flaky lately (either not playing my CDs or stopping playback and shutting off/switching to the radio 5 min into a song) and I don't feel like spending the extra $300+ to get a replacement factory player. Plus, most of my music is on USB drives, as I don't want/need the unnecessary clutter of CDs in my car.

Again, looking for responses relating to experiences and/or opinions of either of these options

True. I had initially planned on getting a Memphis 3Sixty so that I could run everything via the stock deck, although now I'm not sure if I really need this, since the stock deck is being replaced (but will likely still stay in the car since I have the digital climate controls).

I'd like to install it (double din or tablet) in the cubby between the front air vents. I can see depth issues with a double din unit, but I can also see wiring and possible connectivity issues with a tablet.

ya theres little room. unlike some newer gm models where i see people install macmini's and 10" screens all the time.

im also debating purchasing the jdm double din kit. my buddy thinks we can modify the stock board and saughter some connections so that the dual climate control works. he also wants to install a aftermarket deck on the backside of where stock cd player is so the disc ejects in the stock, all while we hard wire the detachable screen to mount between the 2 vents. he likes doing super custom things like that. i think ill choose whatever application is cheaper.

are you gonna throw some subs in the rear?

yeah I plan on putting subs in the cargo area. The plan is to put 4 10" RF P2s in either a isobaric or ported box (would like to do an isobaric box because its way out of the ordinary, but won't if my friend and I can find a good calculator to get the right specs). Pioneer 5.25" components in the front doors, rear doors will stay stock and be used for rear-fill. Kicker 1/0 amp kit, and somewhere around 1400 - 1800 watts to power everything. Also plan an getting the alternator re-wound for higher output.

Had stereos in my last 2 cars, so its only natural that I put on in this, as well.

What to use for a deck/receiver is almost the last thing I have to figure out.

With the transition to all things digital lately I'm fascinated by the idea of housing everything on a tablet. I was streaming Pandora in the car the other day thru one. I think the tablet option and NO headunit would be pretty trick.

The prospect of swapping out the OEM HU, $400 for the adapted auto climate controls & cost of the actual headunit, almost cheaper to get an ipad. Run it straight to the amps with a simple console-mounted volume knob (JL's got a nice one for $60).

Mounting & stealth are a different issue...

yeah I plan on putting subs in the cargo area. The plan is to put 4 10" RF P2s in either a isobaric or ported box (would like to do an isobaric box because its way out of the ordinary, but won't if my friend and I can find a good calculator to get the right specs). Pioneer 5.25" components in the front doors, rear doors will stay stock and be used for rear-fill. Kicker 1/0 amp kit, and somewhere around 1400 - 1800 watts to power everything. Also plan an getting the alternator re-wound for higher output.

Had stereos in my last 2 cars, so its only natural that I put on in this, as well.

What to use for a deck/receiver is almost the last thing I have to figure out.

Rockford fosgate has a decent calculator on their site for sealed and vented enclosures

Rockford fosgate has a decent calculator on their site for sealed and vented enclosures

isobaric enclosures are a bit harder to build, mainly because the specs have to be exact or they won't sound right and the subs won't function correctly. My friend, whose gonna help build the box, has found one site for an isobaric enclosure, but the specs didn't seem right (the box got smaller when adding additional chambers)

With the transition to all things digital lately I'm fascinated by the idea of housing everything on a tablet. I was streaming Pandora in the car the other day thru one. I think the tablet option and NO headunit would be pretty trick.

The prospect of swapping out the OEM HU, $400 for the adapted auto climate controls & cost of the actual headunit, almost cheaper to get an ipad. Run it straight to the amps with a simple console-mounted volume knob (JL's got a nice one for $60).

Mounting & stealth are a different issue...

I agree. The things I'm concerned with, going with a tablet, are if I need to have a wifi plan (which I wouldn't think I would since I should just be able to use it like a laptop, but if needed, I should be able to tether my phone's data connection to it) and if I would still need a signal processor, or line converter, so that I can run my aftermarket subs, speakers, and amps.

I think the replacement stock deck for my car is somewhere around $400. Putting in a $400+ aftermarket double din screen plus the custom install in the cubby between the front vents will likely be expensive and I'll need to, at least, relocate the information center. I'm not really wanting to modify the stock changer and climate controls part of the dash.

Not sure I follow the math. I know the double-din conversion (the auto CC conversion) is in the neighborhood of $400 plus whatever deck you add, another $300-1200 or so. That's the metric I'm using.

What I'd do - iPad to MS-8 processor which routes to amps & spks, or from MS8 straight to spks. Or you could skip the MS8 if your amps have crossovers & passthru's.

Why - CD's are ghosts of the past. Like VHS tapes. A 30 or 60gb tablet stores a huge music collection with a tall bit rate. iTunes just announced a new service for $25 per year, they'll ID all the songs on your computer and make them available to all your wireless devices thru their 'cloud' storage. I'm scared of that personally but still pretty cool.

I find myself listening to internet radio stations probably 80% of the time, doing that in the car would be huge to me and I'd definitely do the 3g data plan. Granted you can do it with a lot of new HU's these days streaming thru a phone, but you can't store large #'s of songs on those.

So many cool options coming out lately, makes me wish I was re-doing my system. But I've sworn it off for a while.

Not sure I follow the math. I know the double-din conversion (the auto CC conversion) is in the neighborhood of $400 plus whatever deck you add, another $300-1200 or so. That's the metric I'm using.

What I'd do - iPad to MS-8 processor which routes to amps & spks, or from MS8 straight to spks. Or you could skip the MS8 if your amps have crossovers & passthru's.

Why - CD's are ghosts of the past. Like VHS tapes. A 30 or 60gb tablet stores a huge music collection with a tall bit rate. iTunes just announced a new service for $25 per year, they'll ID all the songs on your computer and make them available to all your wireless devices thru their 'cloud' storage. I'm scared of that personally but still pretty cool.

I find myself listening to internet radio stations probably 80% of the time, doing that in the car would be huge to me and I'd definitely do the 3g data plan. Granted you can do it with a lot of new HU's these days streaming thru a phone, but you can't store large #'s of songs on those.

So many cool options coming out lately, makes me wish I was re-doing my system. But I've sworn it off for a while.

Was talking to one of the guys at PIA, in Tacoma, and he said that a replacement stock deck, with digital controls, is about $300-400. If I were to buy an aftermarket deck, it would be about $400-800 (have been looking at some), plus custom install to mount it between the front vents. I'd keep the stock deck and custom controls how they are since the radio still functions, just the CD player is flaky.

All my music is on USB drives since CDs, as you stated, are an outdated technology (I have a few burned ones now, but I'd rather use them as frisbees or stick them in the microwave for amusement purposes).

The 4-channel amp has high and low pass filters and I believe the sub amp has a low pass filter, as well. The components have their own crossovers.

I figure if I can store all the music that I have, on my USBs, onto a tablet, that would be one or three less things I have to carry with me.

While I have about 12GB of internal storage on my phone, I'm not likely to store music on it, unless I absolutely have to. The phone would be used as a tethering device so that my tablet would be able to use the phone's data connection, if needed.

Other than an iPad, are there any recommendations for a tablet (I have yet to purchase anything Apple mainly because their products are all over the place...not anti-Apple, just not ready to buy into all the hype....yet).

Tablet and/or headunit is not a good option for you.

It would be stupid to invest money in a "tablet setup" just to have a tablet in the glovebox or passenger seat.

They are meant to be custom fit to the dash... Most places its illegal to use anything like a tablet while the car is moving.. You don't want a cop seeing u looking down or fiddling with it..

Ideal setup for you would be a carpc and processor like BitOne or Three.Sixty and a touchscreen between the vents.

And why on earth are you planning on using an isoberic enclosure? you planning on having clear plexiglass to show it off? lol lame.

It would be stupid to invest money in a "tablet setup" just to have a tablet in the glovebox or passenger seat.

They are meant to be custom fit to the dash... Most places its illegal to use anything like a tablet while the car is moving.. You don't want a cop seeing u looking down or fiddling with it..

Ideal setup for you would be a carpc and processor like BitOne or Three.Sixty and a touchscreen between the vents.

And why on earth are you planning on using an isoberic enclosure? you planning on having clear plexiglass to show it off? lol lame.

The plan is to have either a double-din receiver or tablet mounted in the cubby between the vents (nothings is going in the glovebox or in the center armrest/console area). Any option would be touch screen and so long as I'm not playing Angry Birds on it watching a movie while driving (there's a switch for that anyway), its not illegal to have one working as the main controller of an audio system. I'm thinking it wouldn't be much different from having a touch screen double-din receiver installed.

As far as the enclosure, its different, assuming I can locate accurate specs for it. One reason is that it'd be smaller than a ported box, considering I'll be using 4 10" subs, but would give me the bass response that I'm looking for, that I cannot get out of a sealed box. Two, little to no plexiglass would be used.....this isn't the 90s and I don't need to have people seeing any more of my stereo than they need too (the tinted windows helps).

However, if it comes to it and I cannot locate accurate specs for an isobaric enclosure, I will use a ported enclosure and still have space for my golf clubs.

The ultimate main reason is to be different and do something different (enclosure-wise and possibly receiver-wise). Cops can't pull you over for what they can't see...well they can but that's more or less considered profiling.

edit: however, I do appreciate the opinions expressed and can understand why having a tablet in place of a receiver would be an issue, legally or otherwise.

A tablet in the car is no more illegal than a nav unit. Texting in your car is different.

Still the big problem with using one is mounting in a usable way, if it's in your lap it's not usable while driving. Plus they're attractive smash-n-grab targets so some stealth would be nice. Don't know how you'd do that.

Some minor issues might be will it turn off when the car does or require manual shutdown? is the volume output fixed or variable. Stuff like that.

But it's really not practical, a 1-din HU in the cubby can be tethered to a phone & access USB drives too, it makes more sense. Just less wow factor.

A tablet in the car is no more illegal than a nav unit. Texting in your car is different.

Still the big problem with using one is mounting in a usable way, if it's in your lap it's not usable while driving. Plus they're attractive smash-n-grab targets so some stealth would be nice. Don't know how you'd do that.

Some minor issues might be will it turn off when the car does or require manual shutdown? is the volume output fixed or variable. Stuff like that.

But it's really not practical, a 1-din HU in the cubby can be tethered to a phone & access USB drives too, it makes more sense. Just less wow factor.

My friend and I were thinking about making custom mounts for it the tablet, if I so choose to go that route (stealth would be incorporated into the build since I've already had one car broken into and would like to not have to go through that again). If I do choose to go this way, I'll likely use a 7" tablet.

As far as shutdown, yes, that's going to be an issue. Same with the volume output (which I had not thought of until now). I guess I'm trying to figure out how much "wow" to go with, without losing functionality of the system. There's no point in having a nice audio system if you can't use it or tune it to your liking.

something i found for ya

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes2.asp

also if you buy the right equipment you will get whatever sound you want.

i had an older crx with 3 12's in it that would burp a 152db and play 150db on music daily.

i say put 2 good 12's ( 1500 rms each ) in a slot port box or a tline enclosure and be happy.

the one we were thinking about doing was the Isobaric Three Chamber Dual Reflex Bandpass Enclosure (http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes6.asp midway down), but I'm having doubts about trying to build that kind of box.

Had 3 12s in my 03 Impala, but sold that thing for the LGT. Hmmmm, may just do an elaborate ported box....not sure on that yet, though.

The plan is to have either a double-din receiver or tablet mounted in the cubby between the vents (nothings is going in the glovebox or in the center armrest/console area). Any option would be touch screen and so long as I'm not playing Angry Birds on it watching a movie while driving (there's a switch for that anyway), its not illegal to have one working as the main controller of an audio system. I'm thinking it wouldn't be much different from having a touch screen double-din receiver installed.

This idea is a fail you will not be able to mount a Tablet between the vents without it looking like you just stuck it there.

Going to take an incredible amount of work to look decent.

Look at tutorials on how people installed 7" touchscreens in that spot instead.

Pretty sure they revised the laws in Washington to state you can not use any type of handheld device while driving.

So it has to actually be attached to the car and I think even then it's up to the officers discretion.

As far as the enclosure, its different, assuming I can locate accurate specs for it. One reason is that it'd be smaller than a ported box, considering I'll be using 4 10" subs, but would give me the bass response that I'm looking for, that I cannot get out of a sealed box. Two, little to no plexiglass would be used.....this isn't the 90s and I don't need to have people seeing any more of my stereo than they need too (the tinted windows helps).
4 10" subs?

What type of music do you prefer?

This is a horrible idea.

I suggest joining a real car audio forum and asking someone with A LOT of box design experience to design a box of your type to your specs.

However, if it comes to it and I cannot locate accurate specs for an isobaric enclosure, I will use a ported enclosure and still have space for my golf clubs.
Space and stealth is a concern and you want to use 4 10" subs? :lol:

This is a riot.

The ultimate main reason is to be different and do something different (enclosure-wise and possibly receiver-wise). Cops can't pull you over for what they can't see...well they can but that's more or less considered profiling.
If they pull you over for a noise violation not seeing the box will do little to get out of a ticket.

The only way to not get harassed by the cops for using a tablet is if it looks as if it's a part of the car.

You're trying to be different.. but it's really not the way to do it..

I think he meant 2 10's in a clamshell design (so 4 total drivers) and hence half the box space, I'd guess-timate that around 2 cubes total. That's not huge or overbearing in terms of output tho definitely more than I prefer.

My vision for the tablet would be surface mounting a dock right on top of the oem headunit - attached yet removable. Just a matter of adapting a dock. Would look like a large iPod mount basically, nothing complex there.

Like this X2 -

http://images.the12volt.com/12voltimages/isobandpass.gif

But if this is what you're thinking, forget the golf clubs -

http://images.the12volt.com/12voltimages/isodualbpass3cham.gif

But now that I think about it, guess there's not much difference.

This idea is a fail you will not be able to mount a Tablet between the vents without it looking like you just stuck it there.

Going to take an incredible amount of work to look decent.

Look at tutorials on how people installed 7" touchscreens in that spot instead.

Pretty sure they revised the laws in Washington to state you can not use any type of handheld device while driving.

So it has to actually be attached to the car and I think even then it's up to the officers discretion.

4 10" subs?

What type of music do you prefer?

This is a horrible idea.

I suggest joining a real car audio forum and asking someone with A LOT of box design experience to design a box of your type to your specs.

Space and stealth is a concern and you want to use 4 10" subs? :lol:

This is a riot.

If they pull you over for a noise violation not seeing the box will do little to get out of a ticket.

The only way to not get harassed by the cops for using a tablet is if it looks as if it's a part of the car.

You're trying to be different.. but it's really not the way to do it..

Before you bash my ideas, and considering you don't know me, know and understand that I'm working with a independent car audio shop that specializes in custom audio applications, hence the want to do something custom and out of the ordinary. I am working with a couple of installers with 10 - 15 years, or more, of experience. That said, all of this is still in the planning phase.

Since I would be using the tablet as an audio control device, much like a touch screen double din, its not illegal (I asked the Pierce County Sheriffs officer that patrols the university that I work at, but thank you for your concern).

4 10" subs cuz for one its 40" of total cone area, unless I go with a clamshell design. I've done 3 12" subs in a forward firing ported box, 3 10" subs in a forward firing ported box, 2 10" subs in a bandpass box, and 2 12" subs in a standard ported box. I'm not new to car audio and shouldn't be talked to as if I am.

Not that it matters, but I listen to dubstep, drum and bass, house (eletro, techno, hardstyle, etc), a very small amount of R&B, and little to no Rap

I think he meant 2 10's in a clamshell design (so 4 total drivers) and hence half the box space, I'd guess-timate that around 2 cubes total. That's not huge or overbearing in terms of output tho definitely more than I prefer.

My vision for the tablet would be surface mounting a dock right on top of the oem headunit - attached yet removable. Just a matter of adapting a dock. Would look like a large iPod mount basically, nothing complex there.

pretty much what you said in your post regarding the tablet install, although still not sure if I'll go with that or a double din.

ya 4 10's is a bit much if your concerned about saving space. me myself ive always sacraficed for audio.

and yes there is a great car audio forum to join for box/ equipment help. www.stevemeadedesigns.com theres a bunch of build logs/ sections all about car audio and vehicles in general.

I just need room for my golf clubs

Have fun with your obnoxiously loud, shitty sounding bass.

obnoxiously loud is what I'm going for, with little to no rattle. Thank you for your opinion, which was of absolutely no help at all, in regards to the original question that was to be the purpose of this topic, in the first place. But, none-the-less, thank you.

Clearly, you have not seen my implementation.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3352896&postcount=61

and this

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104115&d=1313672204

Cliff notes: It's mounted semi-permanently. It takes more effort to remove than a single DIN HU, but no more than 10 minutes in time. If it has battery, the screen turns on instantly and stays on for the duration of power to it. When there is no power to it, it goes into sleep mode turning off the screen. If there is no battery, it has a 30 second boot time.

Volume output is always maxed out, but that's what you have the other volume control for, eh?

Sound QUALITY is what is. It's just a 3.5mm stereo audio to the Aux-In.

Let's also not forget full android marketplace. Pandora, Google Maps, and Torque.

I've updated it since that thread (I really should make a new thread with a how to on it), so things are even better than before.

totally agree with Bob here (shockingly I know...)

stick with a double DIN head unit like most others on this site. Having a tablet sitting on your lap or jimmied on to some goosneck stand by the dash will get tiresome really fast.

And what's wrong with a nice tight simple sealed enclosure? I've had isoberic enclosures in competition systems in the past but unless you are going full-out in your trunk and want all that bling, stick with something simple and small that you can tuck to the side, or use in replacement of your storage tray.

just my opinion, everybody is entitled to do whatever they want to their own cars of course.:)

Archived