LegacyGT.com

Crazy Idea

Im glad im not the only one that has always wanted a full rhino lined subaru. I was going to do it to my first gen legacy. I did have another thought that would be cheaper though.

You could just use rustoleum...? I think it would work good. It would be a lot cheaper too. Perhaps not a durable though. (not much is more durable than rhino liner)

I was a Rhino Liner installer for a year. That stuff, and Line X (same thing essentialy), actually goes on smooth. It's only on the last stage, where you adjust the spray, that purposly gives you the dimpling effect. Pigment can be added. It looks cool for about a year until the sun begins to turn it chalky. A clearcoat may be added to prevent that. It will add about 50Lbs of total weight. It would be costly because of the labor. You can't save money by removing items (stuff won't fit right after due to the thickness of it) or pre-taping (the masking tape used has piano wire embedded in it so it will cut through the lining when removed) We have done a few Wranglers with Rhino and while it looks OK at first, it is a magnet for dirt and never looks good again. The guys who had it done still loved it, but I can't figure out why.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

It looks cool for about a year until the sun begins to turn it chalky.

I hope not! Not sure what my mechanic used, but I have some sort of black bed-liner on all the plastic trim on the car to get rid of the ugly faded-light-grey black plastic look. Looks amazing now, but if it all turns back to grey in a year it's going to suck.

Being a former jeep guy i know several of my friends who have done the bedliner route, it should be done professionally because the stuff needs to be sprayed hot DO NOT RATTLECAN IT it will look like dogpoop, but mythbusters tested it and it actually will avoid denting at low speeds and of course it will not scratch in the slightest i'd say do it

Archived