LegacyGT.com

Hid's in stock headlights

So im thinking of putting some hid's in my 97 leggy outback, in stock headlights,

does this work without projectors ? since its one bulb the one guy around town said he has the high-low beam bulb that changes a cutof with a magnetic coil, or does it just throw the light everywhere?

and as for Kelvin value, he has 6K in stock because its the most popular,

I think its to blue, something like 5k or 4.3 k makes me sence right ?

thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated

6k is pure white....with a VERY slight hint of blue that you can't even really notice.

On your stock headlight housings, you will throw light everywhere. You're best off getting JDM projectors

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I wouldn't go over 6k, but personally I would use 5k's.

Like brok said, you will just throw light everywhere and it will blind people like crazy. You are much better off using JDM projector head lights, they go for around $200 on eBay.

The bulb that this guy is talking about using, is for a HID retrofit kit in which you install into headlight assembly that don't have separate bulbs for high and low beams levels. These retrofit kits are reaslly only for headlights with clear lenses, and aren't worth the price compared to JDM projectors and you don't have the right lenses anyway.

• I Donated
I have 6k HIDs in my current STOCK headlights. They blind everyone on the road. This is thanks to the previous owner of my car.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

yea, allright thanks guys, guess i wont slap them in the factory headlights, by the time you get some jdm projectors and bulbs its a little pricy, something il leave for later, in the mean time im going to slap some nice driving lights for highbeams, more practicle anyways,

• I Donated
Don't get me wrong. HIDs are amazing....just make sure you put them in the proper housings so you don't blind all the other drivers on the road

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

wait a minute... I'm sure i'd have jdm projectors... hid work well in them? Very hard to do the change over? Although I plan to replace my lights since one is cracked and glued and the other is polished after a scrape from previous owner -_-

Please don't use JDM headlights. They drive on the other side of the road so they're light pattern is aimed the exact opposite of a U.S. car e.g. you would be blinding oncoming traffic. The stock reflector housings just aren't meant for an HID bulb. You will get lots of glare creating a dangerous atmosphere for drivers around you. If you simply must, then at least get some good casper shields to install with them.

There's a guy around town here who I've talked to quite a few times. He has a red 99 GT Limited with JDM projectors.

His car is unmistakable at night, and in all honesty, have never blinded me a bit. Even after he installed 5k HID's in them.

There are plenty of cars from 04/05 and up that are MUCH brighter than his lights, and constantly blind me all the time.

The LED tail lights of 06 and up civics are more irritating to look at when they step on the breaks than staring into his lights. Even given the fact that red lights don't shrink you pupil dilation.

Just some food for thought...

• I Donated
DONT BUY EBAY KITS!!!!

DDM tuning offers very good kits for $30+shipping.

I have the 35W 4300k and I think it is too ricey blue... I have a 55w 4300k kit on order, hope the blue tint will be gone.

I've always used Xentec kits off of Ebay. I've bought 5 - 6 kits for my own personal use, and installed dozens more on other peoples cars. I have not yet seen a single failure out of one...and this has been over a span of about 6 years or so. Yeah, Ebay kits are cheap china merchandise, but I honestly can't say anything bad about them. I've had nothing but good results with them. They don't fall apart, they last a long time, they are inexpensive, they are built well, etc. The only downfall is some of the suppliers for them are overseas, so depending on who you buy from, it may take awhile to ship.

4300k is almost a yellow light. The blue hue in it will be gone for sure. I run 6000ks myself, and I don't notice any blue hue to them at all. They are just pure white.

DDM does make good kits, but from my experience they are not any better then Xentec kits.

Please don't use JDM headlights. They drive on the other side of the road so they're light pattern is aimed the exact opposite of a U.S. car e.g. you would be blinding oncoming traffic. The stock reflector housings just aren't meant for an HID bulb. You will get lots of glare creating a dangerous atmosphere for drivers around you. If you simply must, then at least get some good casper shields to install with them.

The JDM projectors do not blind oncoming traffic because they are aimed for a RHD car. This is a common misconception. I've testes this theory myself with the JDM projectors. The beam cutoff does not vary that much from the USDM lights.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

yes, there is a slight difference in the cutoff pattern between JDM and USDM. the JDM is like this ---\___ and USDM is like this ___/--- this is so it lights the side fo the road better while keeping the light out of oncoming traffic. you simply need to adjust the cutout such that the oncoming traffic is still not blinded and the only downside is you lose some light from the side of the road. that said, I am toying with the idea of making adapters to mount USDM spec projectors form something like a BMW or similar into the JDM housings and retain the OEM adjustment. not the hack jobs i have seen elsewhere, but a legit engineered part.

• I Donated

Yeah thats an image to illustrate what you're trying to say...but it means nothing because its just a mirrored image. Until you get the same car with the two different light setups aimed the same way, everything you guys are saying about it being aimed the opposite way is heresy.

I've driven on JDM projectors, if the beam pattern was any different from the USDM lights, it was so little that it didn't even really matter. I'm very anal about people being blinded by headlights. I HATE it when people do it to me, so I don't want to do it to other. I even went to the extent of having my wife drive my old legacy with JDMs on it one way, while I was driving our other car the opposite way to see if I would be blinded by the lights. I wasn't at all. It just looked like another normal car driving down the road with its low beams on.

Keep saying they blind people all you want...but until you can provide a picture of the cutoff on both LHD model headlights and RHD model headlights, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Here is how we can settle this :

Can someone with JDM projectors PLEASE post a pic from 20 feet away on level ground shining your headlights straight at a wall? As well, can someone with USDM lights do the same thing? Post your pics so we can compare.

Now with all that being said - here is a guide on how to convert the JDM headlights to a LHD beam pattern if you want to waste your time doing it thanks to EEKAY (thanks for the DIY! I just don't think its needed to be done lol)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-jdm-headlight-blackout-and-usdm-light-pattern-conversion-127120.html

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

the beam pattern IS opposite, but is is only slightly, which is easily corrected for by adjusting the beam pattern down slightly. As i said, the only downside is you have slightly less visibility on the side of the road but it is not really very noticeable, also, the reflectors for the projector unit are offset slightly to aim the beams to one side a bit more, which is the opposite side from USDM, again correctable with adjustment but it DOES limit the adjustment range, not that that is a huge deal.

I have a '99 with the USDM 2 peice headlights, and I had 6k HID's. Never had problems with extreme light scatter, in fact they worked amazingly well. Until the buld blew. Now I'm back to halogens, because I can't source bulbs for it, and cant find another full kit. To clarify, I had true dual beam HID's, not the moving single bulb, but actually had two bulbs in one socket. I miss them. alot. Maybe more than I should. lol.l

• I Donated

Compare the difference between beam patterns on a wall between reflector vs halogen housings.

You may not notice it when you're driving, but EVERYONE else on the road notices it. I promise you

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived