LegacyGT.com

early production 2005 smfw conversion failure

I took my 05 obxt to the local dealer to get a new clutch. I wanted to go with the 06 wrx w/smfw. The service guy sort of heard about this being done but wasn't sure. I thought he looked into it and then agreed to do the work. 40 miles after I got it back it started slipping. Had it towed back to the dealer where the service manager tells me that he won't warranty the clutch because I made them put it in and because its not made for this car because his computer doesn't tell him its an option.

I called Fred Beans to get some info and they said there was an issue with '05 early production models built in 2004. My car was built in April of 05 so they thought it should work.

I checked to make sure the part numbers they installed were right and short of actually looking for markings it seems like they put the right stuff in.

Anybody hear of anything like this?

They put the different flywheel bolts in? Maybe you need a tsk3 kit-

Just shooting ideas out, this is weird, I've never heard of this before, never even brought to my attention by anyone when I did my spec 2+ clutch kit, 07 wrx smfw and tsk3 kit.

Something was not done correctly. This has been done a lot and no one has issues.

I bought my 05 5mt wagon in late Jun 04, June 27th 07 I had the dealer install a Spec LWFW and 2+ clutch. The clutch now has over 73,000 miles and works great.

They did something wrong. You need to find out exactly what parts they put in there.

Also interested to know why you let the dealer do this work, isn't the car out of warrenty ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had the dealer do the work because my local guy was booked for a week and a half and the dealer could get me in quick. All the part numbers they said they installed were correct according to Fred Beans. Maybe they put the clutch in backwards, suggested by fredbeans? They said they wouldn't warranty their work because they think this clutch set up is wrong for this car. They obviously don't know what they are talking about but now what? I might get them to put another 06wrx clutch in. If so I should have them do it and then get it towed down to Area1320 and have him take it apart to see if they did it right. This service manager has been such an ass through this this whole mess I just want to prove him wrong.

The set up they should have put in is the more or less normal set up a 07-09 comes with. SMFW and OEM clutch.

I didn't know you could install the clutch disc backwards and get the pressure plate on. I seem to remember that if the disc was put in backwards it hit the inner springs hit the flywheel and you couldn't get the bolts in the PP.

It's been a few years since I have done this job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The PN for the 06 WRX clutch and flywheel are the same as the 07 to 09 LGT. I was unaware you could put a disk in backwards. I thought it could only sit properly one way. I hope you can get this resolved. What was the production date differences that they specified?

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

That's what you get when you take a car to a stealer.

The snout might have been damaged and required TSK. Or they fucked up install and put clutch disc backward (yeah, dealer monkeys make it possible).

Or you just need to be easier on the clutch while you break it in. You haven't mentioned how you've been driving. Don't expect a WOT pull will hold it while its still in its break in period. If the car doesn't like to move at all then you should take it back.

However if it drives around town just fine under <50% throttle and lower rpms then give it 500 miles and see if it still slips.

I got the car back after they decided they would warranty their work. They replaced the disk again. The pedal feels lighter than stock, no noise at all, shifts great. During the 40 miles that i drove it before it failed I shifted at about 3k. I don't launch or drive hard at all. I thought you would need a tsk3 kit if there was excessive noise but its quiet. I'm going to put some miles on it today but I don't have any confidence in it. The pedal should be stiffer and loosen up during break in? This dealer was an asshole and made me sign a waiver before they would give me the car back. SOA hasn't been much help either.

Sing a waiver BEFORE they gave the car back? You should have just demanded your property and told them you simply were not going to pay them if you had to sign any bullshi!t that was not agreed to at the start.

Glendale Surbaru put in my Exedy and SMLWFW. They did not complain and in fact, let me know that they would not warranty the work at the start but would support me as a customer and make sure I was happy with the LABOR. They also let me know at the end that they spent some non-billable time measuring the clutch kit I brought them vs the oem setup just to make sure it would fit before they cracked open the car.

It fit. It worked.

Im still way happier with the work I get at an independant shop that actually knows the difference between one aftermarket part and another.

EDIT: GLWrepair!

I only signed it because the idiot manager put in writing that his service guy told me that there was a 12 month warranty on the work. Having that in there defeats the purpose of the letter. Anyway my local shop is going to take it apart on Tues.

Turns out my rear axle had pop'd out just enough. It went back in when the clutch was re-replaced but slide out again after 10 miles. Local shop figured it out in one minute and fixed it no charge. The clutch feels great now. The dealer didn't even know to look for it. Had it up on the lift for 5 days and they didn't see it.

Hats off to Area1320 in Easton.

Glad to hear it got worked out. The guys at 1320 are good guys as far as I know.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived