LegacyGT.com

Headlights melted - assembly then connection

carlson1984

OK, so about 6 months ago i put in the Osram Candlepower 65W bulbs as i read on here many people did and loved them, i did read that several people had some melting but it seemed it was because headlight got blocked by something and that is what caused excessive heat... about a month ago one of them burnt out and this is what i found, headlight assembly is melted, i asked dealer how much for a new one and they said was like 500 bucks?!? so i figured i will just wait and find one in a junkyard or something... in the mean time i would get those bulbs out of there and put stock bulbs in so i wouldnt have headlight out... at this point nothing was wrong with either plug thingy for headlights (excuse terminology)

earlier this week i had same headlight go out again.... followed the next day by passenger side headlight going out! i went in to find this! both conectors are completely melted!

i guess these are my questions..

would melted assembly somehow casue this for both of my headlights?

where can i get these plugs and are they easy to install? just cut wires and attach to new plugs?

will i have this same problem if i do change these since assembly is slightly melted like that?

Does anyone have drivers side headlight they would be willing to sell?

I guess i am just not sure what to do at this point except do my best to be home every night before dark!

Thanks for the help

31932643_driversidemelt.thumb.jpg.e2906caf188e2e7f4ae5e93266b44d47.jpg

99883583_driversidemelt-2.thumb.jpg.23346311d6bdd05b7eee901725d1fb50.jpg

2416783_drivsideconnection.thumb.jpg.0b9fd258b8e6665a6fe77405f3f56372.jpg

245953095_passsideconnection.thumb.jpg.3d7df861504cbc30059df64278411d41.jpg

wow, are you sure the bulbs were installed (seated) properly?

fwiw, all you need is the projector bowl or even the projector assembly (that is, if you aren't scared to open the h/l case) and that bit of oem h7 wiring. there are plenty out there, as guys who do retros have these laying around, and would surely sell you a set for a fraction of the 500 you were quoted for complete new h/ls.

try mr. luv, i think it was he who had an abundance of oe projector assys f/s at some point.

• 3 months later...
I've had the same thing happen to my driver side headlight connector within the last two months. Local dealer says I need to buy the entire wiring harness as they do not sell just the connector. I have the thing held together with electrical tape (twice now) and am currently looking at upgrading to a HID kit. I've averaged at least 2 burnouts a year since I bought the car new in '05.

Archived