LegacyGT.com

You guys with lowered ride...

do you have ANY vibration at any speed since you have lowered your car?

During the summer i had my car align, balanced and tire rotated and it was silky smooth up to 100mph. This was before i lowered it.

Now that im on H & R and Koni, I took it to a shop (Straus) that has a roadforce machine and i feel a slight vibration starting around 70mph.

I took the car back to the shop and they said because im lowered, the computer is only adjusting it to FACTORY setting.

Well... the roadforce machine is only supposed to balance the wheels, right? And the wheels should be balanced the same, regardless of whether your car is lowered or not. In theory, you should try to keep the same road patch with your tires, so my guess is that your camber is off (due to lowering). If that's the case, your road patch has changed, and therefore the machine is balancing for a different camber than what you actually have. I'm not sure if adjusting for different camber settings can affect balance, but I suppose it's possible.

Did you install a camber kit? Did you get any kind of alignment after you lowered your car? Most importantly, did you experience vibration immediately after lowering, or are you not sure?

I took the car back to the shop and they said because im lowered, the computer is only adjusting it to FACTORY setting.

Lowering has nothing to do with wheel balance whatsoever.

Do they actually think there is a "Modified" setting for lowered vehicles on their WHEEL balancing machine?? Sometimes I think these places just make up excuses so they don't have to cover their ass.

However, if all you did was lower your car and the vibration started, then your wheels shouldn't be the culprit if you didn't touch them. If you had new tires put on, then your balance would have been changed since it was "silky smooth up to 100mph," but if not, I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

This was all the things that I did. I installed h and r springs, koni, new endlinks front and rear. Then I took it to the shop to get new continental dsw tires mounted, balance and aligned. When I got it back the steering wheel was kinda off center and it was drifting to the right.

I have sort of the same problem. My car is dumped on bc coils and when I put my rotas on it was smooth up til the 125mph or so that I had it. I recently replaced the rear wheel bearings, steering rack bushings, lca, whiteline rear camber bolts, whiteline tie rods and ball joints, front axle (there was a torn boot for 2 years), and front spindles. I took it to a local shop for an alignment and I have a slight vibration above 70mph. Its so slight its barely noticable but its on the same tire and wheel setup and I put the wheels back on the same corner of the car that I removed them from so im kinda curious as to why the car shakes.

The tires you got are great tires, I have them on my own car and love em!

I would highly recommend you get an alignment done soon. After changing that many parts, the car will be sitting differently.

How many inches did you lower your car? If it was 1" or more, chances are very good that a standard alignment will not work 100% without a camber kit, so consider buying one of those. (if you didn't know before, lowering your car changes camber dramatically and usually requires a camber kit to correct. If you don't get one, your alignment will always be off and you'll wear through tires like crazy)

i did get an alignment. I got the who deal done at once.

its lowered about 1.3 inches.

im looking into the camber kit as another boardie suggested.

Strange. You are the first I have heard to encounter such problem. Now I am worried about swapping out my suspensions.

Strange. You are the first I have heard to encounter such problem. Now I am worried about swapping out my suspensions.

the vibration isnt huge, but when you've felt how silky smooth the ride can be, it seems any little vibration is noticeable.

If your car is aligned back within the accepted range for factory specs, you won't have to worry about tire wear issues.

Your car will track a bit differently now that it is lowered. The dartiness you experience is common among lowered cars. You can install an anti-lift kit like the Perrin PSRS or Whiteline kits to help with this. NVH will be increased with the installation of one of these kits. My recommendation would be to just deal with it as is.

Your vibrations are most likely caused by an improperly balanced wheel. Look for missing wheel weights. It's also possible you bent a wheel.

roadforceing a tire does not balance it. the roadforce portion of a tire balancing machine can detect imperfections in the tire itself or a bent rim. the tire rim assembly can be balnced but still cause a vibration due to bent rims or shifted cords.

also tire balancing is not an art form but you do need a person that gives 2 shits about their job. best bet is to pay someone on the side to give you a good balance. and watch them do it.

as far as lowering your vehicle. i doubt this caused a vibration issue. lowering vehicles require alignments not balances. and alignment settings depend on what you are doing with the vehicle. daily driver have it set to factory settings for tire wear. auto crossing you may want some custom settings. but youll pay more for the alignent.

also alignments dont last. you could get an alignment today drive 15 miles hit a pot hole and there goes the $100 you just spent. i recommend an alignment every 15k to 20k and rotations every 2 oil changes.

Archived