LegacyGT.com

Bearing or Wheel noise?

Three years back I ran over something which blew out both passenger tires and slightly bent the front control arm and strut (on the same side). I had those pieces replaced and bought all four Toyo Proxes 4 (Z 225/45 17). After that day I heard a hum\whine while I drove. It's like I was driving on snow tires. I thought it would get softer as I broke in the tires. Well it's only gotten worse - like I'm driving on studded snow tires or driving over a metal-grated bridge. Recently I had to transport some relatives and they all commented about that noise.

Is this noise the tires or the wheel bearings?

I'd like to know before bringing it up with the dealer because I'd bet they're gonna blame the tires (ie. $$$ for them)

You ride in the back seat while someone drives the car. See if you can tell which side it is.

Also any repair shop can do the job cheaper then the dealer. It's most likely out of warrenty.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm almost sure it's the driver's front bearing. Which means it's not covered by the TSA.

1) Should I just buy 2 new fronts and replace them both? Are bearings like brakes, headlights; better to replace them both?

2) Should I buy a slide hammer if I do the job myself?

3) Can someone confirm Timken HA590118 has the ABS sensor?

No just buy the one wheel bearing that failed its rare that subaru wheel bearings go to begin with unless you hit something, or the car sits.

Wheel bearings are rare to go on a Subaru??? Don't they have an extended recall due to a high failure rate?

• 2 weeks later...
I went with my gut and bought 2 bearings. One Timken and one SKF. I had a garage put them in (didn't trust myself and no time). He showed me the old bearing assemblies and you could hear the grinding when turning them in your hand! The car has only 66K miles and both front bearings had to be replaced; I can't believe that! :mad:

• 1 month later...

Its an all wheel drive Subaru. If its never off the road they should not go bad. Thats why they have the replacement for free.

bad wheel alignment or rough roads or unbalanced wheels can cause premature wear

Its an all wheel drive Subaru. If its never off the road they should not go bad. Thats why they have the replacement for free.

Bearings are a wear part. They will go bad whether or not you take the car off road. In reality we ask for a lot out of a wheel bearing. Once the seal goes out and crud gets in, its game over. Ive ruined my fair share of bearings thanks to crud finding its way in. When I took my jeep driveshaft apart, the only thing left of the needle bearings was fine metal dust.

I agree once seal goes, game is over. I wonder how many of the bearings Subaru has replaced have been due to bad seals? If the seal is not at fault and the bearings go, I would suspect the design is not robust. I.E. the loading of the bearing in the hub is not up to snuff. Are the bearing materials used inferior? No doubt, bearing have a tough life!

Bearings are a wear part. They will go bad whether or not you take the car off road. In reality we ask for a lot out of a wheel bearing. Once the seal goes out and crud gets in, its game over. Ive ruined my fair share of bearings thanks to crud finding its way in. When I took my jeep driveshaft apart, the only thing left of the needle bearings was fine metal dust.

Archived