LegacyGT.com

legacy gt with sti turbo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP, you should do a LOT more research before you start this build. Some of your questions make me think that you're already in over your head.

Check the Racer-x FMIC kit for a start.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

If you insist on keeping a TMIC and you're going to be doing a build anyway, why not fab up some piping and find an IC that will work? I'm about to use an RX7 V-mount IC that I got for $125 with some custom piping so that I can run either the LGT style turbo or the STi style turbo. One of these jawns:

http://www.toyosports.co.uk/ekmps/shops/toyosportsltd/images/mazda_rx7_rx-7_fd3s_v-mount_intercooler_2.jpg

I'd much rather spend the $75 for parts and have a TMIC with a huge core than go with a FMIC.

Well if faster than a sti is the plan for starters. All that is needed is uppipe, downpipe, tune. Intercooler is advised or beef up the stocker so the end tanks dont blow out. I think doing the intake manifold swap is just going to cause you a headache when you put it in and down the road. Sure it does look cool and you can say yup sti parts right there, but honestly the oem one is fine. And thats why I put sti badges on my car. All I need is the badge and I am faster.

For what it's worth, you can change just the turbo and have it mate up to the stock intercooler. Requires welding.

You will have better power potential with a different intercooler, but the stock one can be made to work.

I currently have a vf48 from an sti in my 05 lgt 5eat. I'm in Vermont, and had the welding done at Kale's Custom in Colchester. Took him about two hours.

Keep in mind you will need tuning afterwards(with any of these options). I thought I might be able to get away without it, but it's become obvious after logging that I can not. So just figure that into your budget.

If you are in northern Vt, you are welcome to check out my car. I'll be at the Sports Car Club of Vermont meeting tonight in South Burlington at Zachary's pizza(across from Al's fries). The meeting is open to all, no need to be a member. Meeting starts at 7 ish. Switchback is on tap and food is available during the meeting.

pictures please

:munch:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/sachilles/th_2011-11-15_10-40-57_156.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/sachilles/th_2011-11-15_10-41-08_760.jpg

You have to click on the thumbnail for bigger pics. Cell phone quality sorry.

He had to clock the turbo, and move the wastegate.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but I had sort of a unique situation. I bought a car with a bad motor and bad turbo. So I was taking a more economical approach. A (lightly used) VF48 with the custom welding, was cheaper than the options I had for lgt fitament turbos. Course I was very fortunate to get a vf48 for cheap.

I think also may had to modify one of the oil feed lines.

It might not be the right choice for everyone, it was just the choice I made.

I also had Sti manifolds and intercoolers available for short money. I just felt it would be cheaper to go the route I did.

He also has the ability to make custom intercoolers, piping etc. Pretty much, if you can dream it, he can make it. Obviously, the more custom parts, the more you can expect to pay.

Archived