LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP or TurboXS UTEC

j.reed

I am partial to the utec, but I have yet to get a tune with it. Most "serious" wrx guys I know like the utec which is why I got it.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

If you don't plan on tracking it, and don't plan on upgrading your turbo, go Cobb. Otherwise, UTEC. I personally prefer Cobb due to their conservative tuning as I have no need to be on the ragged edge, which is something UTEC will allow you to do. Guess I'm just lazy too, and would rather "plug and play". Don't forget to add the cost of tuning into your UTEC cost estimate.

Not bashing the UTEC, but based on my WRX experiences, it is too sensitive to temperature changes. If you "tune it to the edge" to get every last bit of power and the temp. drops a few degrees, or the humidity drops a little bit, you will get knock (at least I did). Dyno tuning gets expensive. It's very frustrating to throw down $X00 for a tune, only to have a car that knocks the next day. So either you tune conservitively or you make a bunch of different maps. I've also heard from a local tuner (experienced with the UTEC) that it is more difficult to tune the GT than the WRX. Something to do with the ECU and fueling I believe. I would bet that a Pro Tuned AP will give the same power as a UTEC. It will take some time for more shops to get the AP experience though.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I vote for the AP because at least for me, I don't have to fool with it, COBB has a good rep of providing more power without destroying the car and I wouldn't really be able to restrain myself if I were to tune the car. I'd be buying a new 2.5 every year.

The AP is not adjustable at all; a more apprpriate comparison is the Cobb Street Tuner with the UTEC and in that comparison the UTEC really can't win.

A shop with ProTuner can make you custom maps for your AP, they are few and far between for now though. That would be my choice though, you could have several maps and switch between them.

A shop with ProTuner can make you custom maps for your AP, they are few and far between for now though. That would be my choice though, you could have several maps and switch between them.

Does RalliSpec do it? Or anything else somewhere around Philadelphia or south of New York?

If I know there is someone around here, I'd gadly get the accessport since its so easy. Someone told me I could also get base maps for free or cheap for the UTEC

Archived