LegacyGT.com

Cold Air Intake?!?!

ACE THIS

Could anyone who has installed a cold air intake tell me or send me a sound clip so i can hear or be told what differences there are to the sound of the car when a C.A.I. is installed. I want to know if your hear the turbo spool more, the idle and on throttle noise-if it's deeper or louder and what not... thanks, good luck with everything... i love my legacy!

:D:D

Moved to turbo powertrains section. Like franklin said, intakes aren't a popular mod for turbocharged cars. They tend to cause problems for the mass air/fuel sensor (MAF sensor). Supposedly there a power decrease when using just an intake.
-ben

Short ram intakes with a proper tune can result in significant power increases on this turbocharged car or any other. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

See bolded comment. When used without ECU tuning, intakes can cause a lean condition because they flow more air than the ECU can calibrate for. A bad thing.

See bolded comment. When used without ECU tuning, intakes can cause a lean condition because they flow more air than the ECU can calibrate for. A bad thing.

That's why I said it. Though in the case of the Legacy, just a short ram leaning the mixture would probably still add more power and not cause any danger of detonation because the mixture's so rich.

But I think it goes for just about any part that one can put on this car, you don't unlock the real potential unless you tune it.

K&N is selling a TYPHOON intake for the GT and they guarantee 13.9 h.p. increase. A copy of the dyno test is posted on their website.

Venders are selling the intake kit for $259.00 shipped. That seems like a pretty good bank for the buck to me.

A understand you don't want to use one of these with COBB acessport and like-products, but other than that, what's the downside? I don't think K&N would mass-market a product that is likely to cause damage to an engine, but maybe I'm wrong.

The K&N won't cause damage on it's own, but if you keep adding parts that lean out the fuel mixture without doing some fairly intensive reprogramming of the ECU, you run the danger of detonation in the cylinders, which can cause serious damage to the turbo, apparently.

I was looking at the K&N typhoon, but decided to go with a perrin short ram instead. It's significantly cheaper and the foam element is probably best for this kind of MAF setup. Since I'm getting the car tuned, there won't be any other real difference between the two.

so, just adding the k&n typhoon would not be a bad or detrimental thing to our cars?!?!

There are other mods that you can do that would be more worthwhile (Uppipe). Personally, I wouldn't do an intake unless I had to....ie...front mount.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

There are other mods that you can do that would be more worthwhile (Uppipe). Personally, I wouldn't do an intake unless I had to....ie...front mount.

I really don't understand the irrational aversion to intakes here. Again, WITH A TUNE, intakes are just as important as uppipes, downpipes, etc.

When my tuning is done, I'll have an UP, DP, intake, and BOV, and I garauntee I'll be better off than if I had kept the intake stock.

I really don't understand the irrational aversion to intakes here. Again, WITH A TUNE, intakes are just as important as uppipes, downpipes, etc.

When my tuning is done, I'll have an UP, DP, intake, and BOV, and I garauntee I'll be better off than if I had kept the intake stock.

No aversion.....but many are not going to get a tune (AP), easy as that.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Guest turboman

Don't want to throw a mudball here... if you do a seach you'll find where a member put a temp sensor in the stock air intake box. He found that the air temp inside the box (with the silencer jug taken off) was within a couple of degrees of the outside anbient temp when the car was moving over about 25mph.

You can't get any cooler than that. Put a foam filter inside the stock airbox and you'll gain everything you're likely to. Advertising nonetheless.

(witness TORNADO, sold everywhere. Increases mileage by up to 29% and 13hp gain. ABSOLUTE JUNK!) Go ahead a sue me. I dare you. :mad:

"... if you do a seach you'll find where a member put a temp sensor in the stock air intake box. He found that the air temp inside the box (with the silencer jug taken off) was within a couple of degrees of the outside anbient temp when the car was moving over about 25mph."

Do you know whether the hole at the bottom of the airbox was plugged or left open? (BTW I just did a quick search and couldn't find the post in question)

Guest turboman
"... if you do a seach you'll find where a member put a temp sensor in the stock air intake box. He found that the air temp inside the box (with the silencer jug taken off) was within a couple of degrees of the outside anbient temp when the car was moving over about 25mph."

Do you know whether the hole at the bottom of the airbox was plugged or left open? (BTW I just did a quick search and couldn't find the post in question)

Bottom hole was open. I may have seen it in NASOIC. Can't remember. Check my posts. I think I started one about spraying ice water on the IC while in the staging line, and if it would help.

Come to think of it, air intake temps have nothing to do with IC temps in the hood scoop. It may have been a discussion about 60 degree thermostats and their possible effects. Nothing was concluded except that the air box is as effective temperature-wise, as anything else. Quantity of air flow is another open discussion.

It's an endless discussion.

Archived