LegacyGT.com

Anybody got the cabin air filter option?

The Legacy Research site mentioned "late availability" for the cabin air filter. Anybody have them on their cars already? That's starting to be a must have option for me, maybe I can have the dealer included it but install it later if not available.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I've heard that people made their own for the WRX- they cut a furnace filter to fit, I believe.

[quote name='gtguy']What does it do exactly, and how do you notice its effects? Kevin[/quote] It keeps the dust, mold, pollen ect... out of the cabin. Makes breathing easier in dusty places, it also helps keep the pollen level on the dash down to a decent level. Just be sure to change it about the same time as you would an air filter.

I'm not realy sure what the kit will consist of or if there will have to be any modifications to the car. The usual location for the cabin filter is behind the glove box or just under the the glove box integrated in the air ducting. The price for the kit is just around the price for the filter alone, so I'm guessing the kit is just the filter itself.

The biggest thing I notice that it is working is looking at the vent after a few weeks or months. If you have had any other car without a air filter for the vents than you notice dust that builds up along the vents. I noticed almost nothing when I had the filter in my WRX. The filter runs about $35-40. Subaru recommends the filter be change, I think every other oil change. I had no problem changing mine out once a year.

Usually the filter is non-reusable. You need to buy a brand new replacement. In other Subies, the air filtration kit just consisted of the air filter and a seal/gasket that held the airfilter in place. I forgot to factory order one so I'll probably just get the kit from the dealer and do it myself. Can any 05 owners comment on where the air filter is located and if it's an easy installation? Ken

I ordered one with cabin air filter and about 2.5 weeks ago got a call about not having that option available so I had a choise of stoping the order or geting without one. Since I had to have car ASAP, I got one without filter, but hoping that I can retrofit that later on.

Found this by looking at [url]http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/index.html[/url], looks like a filter... [img]http://images6.fotki.com/v86/photos/2/280210/1102821/legacy2005filter-vi.jpg[/img] Looks fairly easy to reproduce using a home heating system filter, like I did for my 2000 Legacy (yes, I am cheap... :wink: 8) At 60$US a pop vs. 20 for 5, I make my own). Nicolas

Guest *Jedimaster*
Dude- at 5 for 20 bucks, you should sell them at a profit to members of this website ;)

[quote name='jedimaster']Dude- at 5 for 20 bucks, you should sell them at a profit to members of this website ;)[/quote] :wink: I've been meening to put the instructions up. They'll only apply to 2000-2004 Legacy/Outback/Bajas, thought... :oops: Nicolas

Archived