LegacyGT.com

Legacy 6mt tranny fluid

My tranny won't get 1st or second when cold, and crunches into them even when warm, and sometimes third has issues. It wasn't like this when new but is getting worse this year.

I want to try some Extra S but cannot find detailed instructions for 2010+ (5th generation) cars. I think I saw a torx bolt when I was under it last time.

Is it still a T70?

Does it need a replacement gasket of some sort once removed?

Do I just need to swap the fluid there or are there other compartments that effect shifting?

On a related note, my friction point seems pretty far below center of the clutch throw, maybe I am dragging clutch slightly and should bleed my clutch master and slave cylinders, has anyone had this issue or tried this?

I'm thinking both are relatively cheap/easy fixes to try first before raising any bigger flags.

The guy's at Fred Beans, a Vendor here may be able to help you with the Extra-S and crush gasket. I have not yet replace my gasket, so it's your call.

BAC5.2 has a cocktail mix of Redline Shockproof Lightweight and Motul oil. PM him and see what his thought's are for your 2010. He's a Tranny guru.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Definitely going to try extra S before do anything exotic. Don't want Subaru complaining I put all kinda of weird stuff in if it gets even worse and I have to have them look at it.

My Honda was awfull from when new (2005) until I changed the tranny fluid in like 2008. When I did they had a "new forumla" and when i put that in it was amazing. I had no idea a slightly different fluid could have such effect. Hoping for the same here.

My autozone is showing the T70 available in store for $4 but like others have stated, 3/8's drive. Hopefully it holds up for 1 use. For $4 I don't care if I have to buy one for each change. Might just buy 2 up front if they have them.

• 4 weeks later...

I changed my fluid and I cannot report that it gave rise to any drastic changes. The really strange thing is, it was the same or maybe even a little worse for a couple weeks. Until I drove to Evansville and back (180 miles each way). It was as if the Extra S had an additive that needed to get highway hot before it activated. After that it is definitely better than after being changed, but my issues did not all go.

I still can hardly get a rolling 2nd and I get a grind going into 3 when the transmission is warm (not cold, not highway hot).

I haven't had the issue of 3rd pushing the shifter back into my hand but it definitely is still very notchy and crunches in.

Archived