LegacyGT.com

engine build? in over my head?

The more i think about it the more i see the detail you need to put a motor together.

Basically building this motor with a ej25d block, used sti pistons and rods.

And still have to source a phase two crank.

Now im seeing things like piston to wall clearance and bearing specs and ring gap becoming something that i dont know i can do..

How important is piston wall clearance? i have a stock bore that's going to be honed and run with the sti stocker pistons of unknow size. im not going all out in detail but if my numbers are way out of line... what are good ranges for ptw clearence?

What kinda numbers am i looking at for bearings? i can get the crank measured and get the right bearings no problem. but...

-how far our of spec would it have to be to need a grind and oversize bearings?

as far as ring gap? what kinda numbers for that?

• I Donated

I'm just going to say this.

You can't just slap new bearings on a used crank...regardless of how the crank looks and measures out. You will need to have it machined and run oversized bearings....unless you mark what bearings went where and keep the con rods in order out of the donor engine.

As far as piston to wall clearance.....I couldn't tell you. I've always just done .010, .020 over, etc pistons depending on the bore of the engine. If I just do a light hone, I still run stock pistons.

As far as rings, you should be able to use the stock sized rings just fine (I would think). There shouldn't be any gap between the rings and the cylinder walls when the pistons are installed in the the cylinders.

To be perfectly honest with you, if you have no experience building engines you probably are in over your head. If you want to learn how to build an engine, I suggest you go pick up an old small block chevy engine (carb 305, 327, 350, or 400) and learn on that.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Just main. They were 78$ when i bought them, but i had to use a phase 1 block instead. It sucked!

The box is an oily mess and the bearings have been in a zip lock for a few months. They came with a weird color coating and the coating has since been... idk rubbed off, i dont know what its purpose is.. Ill post pics, but i know they are perfect, just informing.

The more i think about it the more i see the detail you need to put a motor together.

Basically building this motor with a ej25d block, used sti pistons and rods.

And still have to source a phase two crank.

Now i seeing things like piston to wall clearance and bearing specs and ring gap becoming something that i dont know i can do..

How important is piston wall clearance? i have a stock bore that's going to be honed and run with the sti stocker pistons of unknow size. im not going all out in detail but if my numbers are way out of line... what are good ranges for ptw clearence?

What kinda numbers am i looking at for bearings? i can get the crank measured and get the right bearings no problem. but...

-how far our of spec would it have to be to need a grind and oversize bearings?

as far as ring gap? what kinda numbers for that?

Call a machine shop man, they will be able to answer all of your questions. No offense to anyone on this forum, but you can't always believe everything you read on the internet. The best thing to do if its your first time getting balls deep in an engine is to get all of your questions answered by a professional, in your case a machinist. There is, however, probably a thread somewhere on this forum with all of your answers within it.

Good luck mang

i have also thought about calling some local performance racing teams. hell maybe they will put it together.. only problem is there are not really any subaru spec shop around here. since this motor goes together so much different then anything else i may be the best person for the job lol.

• I Donated
since this motor goes together so much different then anything else i may be the best person for the job lol.

I dunno about that. An engine machine shop would be much better to build it....hell, even someone with experience building old VWs or current Porches

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Not trying to be rude but if this motor ever runs I will be surprised. I have build a few subaru motors and many small block chevys in my life and I still go to my machine shop buddy for help. There are just some things a DIY'er cant do.

• I Donated
There are just some things a DIY'er cant do.

I couldn't agree more. I work on cars for a living, and there are things that I come across sometimes that I either don't know....or things that I'm not comfortable messing with. Building a Subaru engine isn't for an amateur to do...everyone has to start somewhere, but I think a Subaru engine may be a little over a beginners head.

Even experienced engine builders who do their first Subaru engine frequently mess them up.

Sure it will run at first, but it will have a VERY high chance of early failure.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I'm on my 2nd Subaru engine & let me tell you that even though it's a little easier than the 1st time, it's still pretty tough to deal with. If you're not sure on what to do, bring it to someone who does. Engine building is very costly & very intricate.

Archived