LegacyGT.com

You Ready For Snow

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you guys got hammered up there from the storm, all the roads fixed?

For the most part. Main roads are good. Some side roads are still down. Bridge is out on my normal commute route.

If you are coming up here to ski, all of those roads are good to go, just might have some patched pavement here or there. Road crews have done an amazing job repairing stuff short term. More detailed fixes will start in the spring.

Last year was my first season. I had driven AWD and 4x4 in snow before, but coming from a FWD full size car to my Legacy last winter was great. Last year was also the first year I bought snow tires instead of running all seasons year round. I loved every minute of it! Instead of only going out if I absolutely needed to I went out just for fun!

So much better/funner with good tires. I ran my first winter with the LGT with the stockers and was very let down, my previous fwd car with snows was much better. I replaced the stockers with nokians and loved driving in the snow. So much traction combined with having a manual making it super easy to stop by using the brakes and engine together made it a blast to drive.

Well it just started snowing :eek: i didn't think it was going to snow yet. Guess I wont be driving my car till I can get the starspecs off.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Undercoating&rust protection is a science of it's own, and over here they are pretty good at it.

Extract from a rust protection scheme:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/behandlingbil.jpg

Light Blue - Thin Wax type.

Dark Blue - Thick Wax type.

And the thin wax goes on the inside - even on wishbone arms and a lot of spots that you never figured were there.

453747.png

But what good would rust protection do on a car that already has surface rust on the underchassis?

If you cut off exposure to oxygen, then the process of rust can't continue. You just need to make sure you are covering both sides of metal.

But what good would rust protection do on a car that already has surface rust on the underchassis?

Very much - it will halt the process for a few years - provided it's done right.

Wash thoroughly, dry thoroughly and then spray.

453747.png

Guy in classies here selling OEM LGT wheels with Blizzaks for $600. Downside, they're purple and green LOL.

Do you have a template for the skid plates? Or are you just gonna fab and go?

Ha i'm just going to make a cardboard copy, cut out the PC, and run with it.

I just called dibs on those wheels and tires if he wants to ship them-- they're getting painted black tho!

I just called dibs on those wheels and tires if he wants to ship them-- they're getting painted black tho!

I'd like to see how your skid plate turns out. I looked at aluminum sheets to make my own, but they were over $100 plus shipping so I figured $250 for the Primitive one wasn't so bad after all. :spin:

Just got a call my snow tires are all ready to go! I'll pick them up and put them on tonight after work. I parked my car yesterday as it snowed and we had some nice ice this morning... I didn't think my starspecs would make good icy road tires. LOL

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I'd like to see how your skid plate turns out. I looked at aluminum sheets to make my own, but they were over $100 plus shipping so I figured $250 for the Primitive one wasn't so bad after all. :spin:

Yeah I'm a bit more frugal than others-- if I can make it by myself for cheaper, I will certainly try. I'm hoping this weekend I can get a layout and hopefully before it snows I can get it cutout and installed on my car.

Don't hold your breath.... :lol:

It's 1:25PM, 35.7 F and big snow flakes coming down. The old snow blower is ready to go.

Just bought a new one, I'll pick it up next week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Time is 19:31, Nokian Hakka 7 on the car, 8 degrees, no rain, it's dark, my neighbors are fighting and I'm not wearing sunglasses.

I suppose it's time to get out for a ride...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f5/BluesBrothers.jpg/220px-BluesBrothers.jpg

453747.png

I just got back from a drive in the middle of it. I went about 50 miles over a mountain and back. I thought I bought it at one point, but it caught traction and pulled back in line.

The dealer I bought from put on Sumitomo all seasons and they are just terrible in the snow. I wasn't prepared to put my Conti DWSs on this early. I did take my lip off before leaving though.

Archived