LegacyGT.com

Looking for a map as a starting point - Stage 2/TMIC/Perrin Y/stock exhaust cans

Deer Killer

The boost tuning leave much to be desired I will fix that, but I wanted safe values for timing/fuel that I know work with this combo of parts, so my daily driver can be my daily driver ASAP. Cobb Stage 2 will knock with this setup, also the load values go off the map ;-(

Consider this one:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6877

I think it's quite good, but I'm biased. :)

Interesting. Did you characterize by any chance the effect of the FMIC vs TMIC on your tune? I would think you'd be able to push timing all over the map due to cooler and more consistent charge temps. Which means too much timing for my motor.

The FMIC was one of my first mods, even before the UP & DP, so no, I don't really know how much it affects timing.

But you said you were looking for a starting point, and that tune I posted will give you one. It's got a whole bunch of minor tweaks to it, which are described in the thread.

To make it work for your car you can increase the WGDC table (multiply everything by 1.2 or so) until you get boost you're happy with. Then increase the whole dynamic advance table a little bit at a time, until you find the knock threshold, then back it down a notch. So there's basically two "knobs" to get it mostly dialed in for your car. If want, you can tailor it further, of course.

Anyone who wants to use that tune will have to do some tuning to make it work, and that's why I think it will turn out at least as well as most "flash and enjoy" off-the-shelf tunes, and probably better. And with less risk, since you start with a very detuned setup, and then turn it up, rather than flashing something that may or may not be too aggressive to start with.

There are a other LGT stage-2 tunes at RomRaider, you should check those out as well. Mine is just one of the options.

• 3 weeks later...
The FMIC was one of my first mods, even before the UP & DP, so no, I don't really know how much it affects timing.

But you said you were looking for a starting point, and that tune I posted will give you one. It's got a whole bunch of minor tweaks to it, which are described in the thread.

To make it work for your car you can increase the WGDC table (multiply everything by 1.2 or so) until you get boost you're happy with. Then increase the whole dynamic advance table a little bit at a time, until you find the knock threshold, then back it down a notch. So there's basically two "knobs" to get it mostly dialed in for your car. If want, you can tailor it further, of course.

Anyone who wants to use that tune will have to do some tuning to make it work, and that's why I think it will turn out at least as well as most "flash and enjoy" off-the-shelf tunes, and probably better. And with less risk, since you start with a very detuned setup, and then turn it up, rather than flashing something that may or may not be too aggressive to start with.

There are a other LGT stage-2 tunes at RomRaider, you should check those out as well. Mine is just one of the options.

FYI I'm running 4-6 (:eek:) degrees more timing under load across the board right now, that's after increasing select areas by 0.6 degrees to try out tomorrow. Yes I'm including advancing your default DA by 4 already.

You didn't specify what fuel. I assume this is because I'm running 93, and it's 7/11 gas too (trying more timing on supposedly "bad" gas). I expect better results with Sunoco 93/94.

92 octane here.

"Advancing by 4" was not quite what I had in mind...

6) When you're hitting target boost and AFR consistently, start turning up timing. The initial tune has 1/4 as much dynamic advance as I was running. This basically pulls timing across the board, smoothly - about 2 degrees from redline at 6 degrees from peak torque. Multiplying the whole dynamic advance table by 2 will leave you with 1/2 as much timing as I was running. Multiplying it by 3 will leave you with 3/4, and so on.

...but you're probably not far off. If I remember right, I was running 4 degrees DA at redline, and 8 at midrange, and the version I uploaded was set to 1 and 2, respectively. So adding 4 to the whole thing would give you 5 degrees at redline and 6 at midrange. If that's what you did, you could probably add 2-3 more in the midrange.

Sorry I meant "multiply by 4" as per your instructions. I'm comparing total timing computed/interpolated by excel, I'm even taking into consideration IAT timing comp B.

Also, Mickeyd's stage 2 base is running yet another ~2 degrees total timing at load around 4000 rpm than me..

Did you check your EGT's?

I don't have an EGT gauge, unfortunately. But that tune did 260something whp on a local dynojet so I don't think it was leaving a whole lot on the table.

What AFR are you running in WOT pulls? And what AFR does MickeyD's tune use?

11.13 tapering to 10.5-10.8 (approximately, I have not tuned MAF or fuel yet, there are some richer cells that may be hit.)

MickeyD - same fueling where he is running more timing. A little leaner are more consistent through the whole load/rev range, 10.75/10.8 etc.

Archived