LegacyGT.com

My car the "big rolling turd"

97 legacy GT.

my car now cant hold a steady idle. chugs and ticks.

I was accelerating to 70km/h from 0 and it was all smooth n such till i hit third.

Lost pretty much all the acceleration i had. Check engine light was flashing.

Car seemed normal cept the ticking got a lot louder.

Being on a major route in the center lane i couldnt really stop. SOooo i took it home.

Its like chug- cha chug Tick-ta-tick ..... yeah.... Fudge.

Yeah. its not as bad as mine. Start shopping for a new engine. Drain that oil and put a heavier weight oil for it. till you can get a new engine. yours isn't as far gone as mine was.

Good luck. if you look i'm sure you can find a good deal on a 2.2 and if you do that you can drop a lil more for hg's and timing kit and swap heads over so you keep your low and mid range power. :D I'm getting ready to swap my heads over on to my 2.2.

Yeah. its not as bad as mine. Start shopping for a new engine. Drain that oil and put a heavier weight oil for it. till you can get a new engine. yours isn't as far gone as mine was.

Good luck. if you look i'm sure you can find a good deal on a 2.2 and if you do that you can drop a lil more for hg's and timing kit and swap heads over so you keep your low and mid range power. :D I'm getting ready to swap my heads over on to my 2.2.

2.5 heads on a 2.2L will drop the compression and make the car much slower....unless u plan on turboing it....

you'll bring it down to somewhere around mid to high 7's on compression.

you could mill the heads, which shrinks the combustion chamber size and will increase the compression but I don't know how much you could take away as I don't know what the valve to piston clearance is

also, if anything, EJ25 heads on an NA EJ22 will cause it to make power in the mid to upper range

• I Donated

I think that unless your car looks like this then its not a rolling turd

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/09/340x_ey5vw_ejqsa_01.jpg

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

would the rod(s) make the idle completely unstable?

The video has a cold start so it revs up to 1500

at the 4-5 second mark is about the normal idle.

EDIT: this sucks i just bought my mom a 98 outback. She used to drive this. Was giving her problems so i took it off her hands.

EDIT2: I dunno if Canadian winters will allow thicker oil :\

I already have a high of 6C /42.8F for tomorrow with a low of 0C/32F

Don't drive it anymore.

That 25D is finished, please trust me on this.

That sound is UNMISTAKABLE; you have rod knock & in it's final stages before you poke a rod through the block. Maybe 20 miles or less.

This happened to me a couple of days ago.

You may be able to still save the block if you cease driving it now.

You WANT to save those heads, trust.

If your engine blows, there is a near 100% chance those heads will be destroyed with them. Prevent this from happening & get it ready for a swap or a rebuild.

And for the those who are saying that an EJ22 won't run right with DOHC, this only applies to the 98- 22s. Putting DOHC on a Phase 2 22 will not make you lose so much power.

It will push what that block has to the mid-range rpms. You will have nice cruising speed. I was skeptical so I used a thinner head gasket set for the 22.

If it's a phase 1 22, you will lose very much needed power (compression drops into the 8s) unless you boost it to make up for the compression loss.

If it's a 22T, you will drop the compression into the 7s & make shit for off-boost power.

Should you put DOHC heads on a phase 2 22, you will drop compression into like 9.5:1. A thinner gasket than stock will bring you back up close to the 10s.

Hope this helps!

Archived