LegacyGT.com

Couple quick questions RE: springs / sway's and WTF is up with my bank

rallispec

Okay, let me start out with a mini rant and then on to my questions -- I've just started auto'xing and am looking to make some decent suspension upgrades before wasting any more money on engine stuff.

I tried to order a 20mm JDM rear sway from AVO and my card was rejected multiple times... I called my bank to find out what the deal was and apparently it was 'suspicous activity' and they wouldnt approve it.. (suntrust.. WTF is up with that!?.. i can only guess its becuase AVO is outside the US) -- anyhow, to make a long story short, i think the guys at AVO got tired of waiting on me and they cancelled my order.

So now i think i've got things straightened out with my bank and i'm getting ready to re-order (if AVO will let me) -- but i'm also contimplating moving up to the Perrin bar instead.. a little larger... Is it worth a few extra buck to go that route instead?

what about endlinks... What ARE endlinks? I can use the stock ones right?! what do the aftermarket endlinks offer over the stockers?

lastley -- what about springs. I want to stiffen up the ride a bit and lower it -- however i really dont want to spend 500 on a set of pinks... I am considering the whitelines but looking at other alternatives and looking to get some feedback on what other people are using.

thanks

I have the 20mm RSB - it makes a difference but get a matched set of Perrins or Cusco if you will be autocrossing the car (I might upgrade myself). Adjustable endlinks aren't needed unless you significantly lower the car, and even then, Keefe has shown that you can get by with stock.

If you just want springs how about some Teins? H-tech or S-tech...one of them should work for you. I'll probably be ordering some sways soon...waiting to complete the sale of my Honda first. I'd like to get Teins as well but i'd really like some better shocks..and no adjustable Konis yet:(

Well after talking with iON Performance I think my plan of action right now is a set of iON's, save up some cash - then get a rear (maybe a front also) sway bar as more funds become available.

I havne't even started thinking about new wheels and tires yet... i really gotta win the lottery or something.

So now i think i've got things straightened out with my bank and i'm getting ready to re-order (if AVO will let me) -- but i'm also contimplating moving up to the Perrin bar instead.. a little larger... Is it worth a few extra buck to go that route instead?

what about endlinks... What ARE endlinks? I can use the stock ones right?! what do the aftermarket endlinks offer over the stockers?

I just put the Perrin one on last night. Due to the fact that the JDM one is 20mm, I set the Perrin bar to 20mm (it is adjustable from 17mm to 22mm). I'm using the stock endlinks, and when you see the stock endlinks, you'll notice why they need to be replaced. I hope to get aftermarket ones myself soon.

Anyways, the endlinks go from the end of the sway bar, to the mount point on the lower control arm. They are kind of a semi-flexible attachment point between the suspension and the sway bar. here is a pic of the AVO endlinks. They look similar to the stock ones, just beefier. Imagine that the center section is about 1/2 to 1/3 the diameter of those AVO ones.

Aftermarket endlinks also generally have better bearings, so they rotate better, and don't have a tendancy to bind up.

I would recomend the Perrin bar to you over the JDM one. Its adjustable, and seems well made. These ones also come with extra braces, which although they were a little rough to install, but looks pretty beefy. I haven't compared with other bars, but the Perrin one certainly looks and feels good to me. I'll have to wait till next weekend for the next auto-x to really pound on it, but so far my street driving feels much stronger. The car rotates so well.

Perrin was also pretty responsive with some questions I had after I finished my install. Pretty nice to deal with.

well looks like AVO made part of my decision for me.. even though i thought my order had been cancelled (and they have not charged my card) - a brand jdm sway bar showed up at my door today anyways.

so now i've been trying to make an international phone call for the past 30 minutes to get this straightened out.. but i'm either getting a voicemail box in australia or some crazy japanese automated phone voice at the japan office.

anyone know the time difference between us and japan?

looks like the springs might have to wait a while after all :(

Archived