LegacyGT.com

Do our engines always sound like this?

Feel kinda dumb for asking this but do the 2.5 turbo engines all sound really choppy around 3k rpm and light throttle? Honestly...I might just be paranoid right now as I just finished major maintenance (clutch job). Well, I finished it 2 weeks ago. But since then I've been listening close to make sure I buttoned up everything right. ~850 miles later I am making this (hopefully not useless) post.

Maybe it's because I've never really driven the car as light as I could. I'm doing it now for the new clutch. Anything more than light throttle and I can't hear the choppyness. I can hear it fairly well on the freeway cruising with the engine speed around 3k.

Here is a sound clip:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Cypher0117/lgt/?action=view&current=noise.mp4

Let me know if this is another quirk that these engines are known for or if something is wrong...:spin:

I have a slight stutter at around 3k RPM at part throttle. At the same time, at full throttle 3k is when my turbo really spools up. Might be coincidence?

I will take a closer listen to it and see if it makes that same sound and let you know.

Normal.

I think the noise is a combination of AVCS and header design.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I put the clutch in 2 weeks ago. And that is around when I noticed the 'new' noise. The sound is easy enough to ignore, it just sounded different so I thought I'd pose the question to the forums. Don't want my engine to explode.

On a side note...I did notice very slight shaft play in my stock turbo at 70k miles. I doubt that would have anything to do with this noise though

Archived