LegacyGT.com

Hankook V12 in winter?

bermo

Anyone run these summer tires during the winter?

We barely get any snow up here in lowland WA and when we do it goes away pretty quick. We do get the lovely 38 degree rain, and the occasional temps in the 20's, but clear and dry.

Won't be doing aggressive driving, I'll take it easy when it gets cold.

Just looking for opinions.

• I Donated
Snow tires are better than all-seasons in the dry when it's below 45 degrees out. I'd assume they'd be better than summer tires at those temps too. Definitely get performance snows if you don't get a lot of actual snow, though.

Guess I'm kinda worried about the cold, cold rain. Borderline wet snow. I figure these tires will 'harden' up when it gets cold, not sure how slick they will be.

Got some Eagle GT all-seasons on a set of stockers in the garage, but I'm liking the new wheel and tire set up I got going on right now. Trying the hold off the swap.

I would not use summer tires in cold weather. As you said they do get hard at low temperatures and they do not grip well, even in the dry. I always get a second set of wheels with snow tires for cars I drive during the winter. I have experienced the loss of grip with summer tires when it gets cold. It is very noticeable! In fact, I'm changing over to winters today.

Here is a very interesting tire test, comparing summer, all season, and winter tires, in snow, wet, and dry conditions. It doesn't address your question about cold dry pavement, but the results are dramatic. All season tires aren't good for much at all.

http://www.insideline.com/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

I sometimes run my summer tires too long before switching and all I can say is the muscles you use to pucker your asshole will get a long stronger by the spring.

Summer tires were never meant be driven in snow, they just aren't built to do it. They will work in the sense that they will keep the rims from grinding into the concrete but honestly, your a lot better off sacrificing the looks to keep from smashing up your car or yourself.

I ran my Star Specs at a winter autox (dry, cloudy, high 38F) in December of last year.

I finished 4th overall in raw and pax. There were 3 or 4 other drivers there that are usually quicker than me (better prepared cars), but they were on all-seasons. The pax winning co-driven Porsche 924 was on Hoosiers.

Overall grip was definitely down, but the car was still manageable at the limit. There was only one time things got a little hairy, but that was my fault.

that is an interesting race situation. Up here in Vancouver, we have a "slush series" auto-x through the winter. I can clearly remember a STS (IIRC) Celica with snow tires not only winning PAX, but also the fastest time of the day on snow tires. It was about wet, but not snowing.

I've run them for the past two winters, but then again I've been living in Southern California and Vegas during that time :)

They've only seen snow twice and it wasn't very much (it has just been plowed, yay Cajon Pass).

I'm curious what the results of others are too

• Mega Users
I sometimes run my summer tires too long before switching and all I can say is the muscles you use to pucker your asshole will get a long stronger by the spring.

I got a good chuckle out of that at work:lol:

I have my V12s on right now and its an average of about 50F. I can just tell by looking at the tread of these tires that my ahole muscles will get ripped if I keep these things on for the winter:p. Plus the fact that they are a Max or Ultra Performance summer tire pretty much says you should take them off as soon as the snow starts sticking to the road. Mine are wearing so well that I'm trying to use them as long as I can. They will probably come off 2nd or 3rd week in November. Then the W70s go on:icon_chee

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users
HybridAndy was spot on. I have officially driven on the V12s in a Sh*tstorm of snow/ice and my a$$hole puckered up like a sucker fish. Do not use these tires in the snow or temperatures under 40 degrees F, very very dangerous.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

HybridAndy was spot on. I have officially driven on the V12s in a Sh*tstorm of snow/ice and my a$$hole puckered up like a sucker fish. Do not use these tires in the snow or temperatures under 40 degrees F, very very dangerous.

TireRack:

However like all summer tires, the Ventus V12 evo is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

:spin:

I swapped out my V12's to my DWS' on Friday in light of Saturday's shitstorm.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Concur! I did the same, immediately swapped them when I got home.

Archived