LegacyGT.com

continue to blow turbos

so i just blew turbo #3, and cannot figure out what keeps happening, aside from they have all been used turbos, might have to suck it up and just get a new one....

-cleaned the banjo filter, which was perfectly clean anyway

-the upper coolant res was clogged (previous owner must have placed stop leak, clogged my heater core and crossover manifold, which had both been replaced) and the turbo was being starved coolant (assuming reason for first one to blow). had the system flushed, getting coolant now

-thought it was oil starvation, pulled the bolt from the top of the turbo, and watched oil spray everywhere as i started the car to ensure. it is however possible its getting oil, just not enough? Bought SS oil lines that i will install for the next time

but does anyone have any thoughts on this, blew the orig at 70k, second 100miles later, 500 miles later, and this last one (vf46) within 10 miles. i have done an oil change between every single one, did not drop the pan as i never had turbine damage to the point where metal was missing....thoughts????

did you check the oil feed lines coming from the AVCS on the head(passenger side, it feeds the turbo)? perhaps something is blocking that line....and there's a banjo filter in that same line but at the banjo under the turbo at the connection to the head. A blockage there can backup flow in/out of the turbo.

I'd pull the pan and inspect for FOD. At the same time, inspect the pickup for failure.

Just because there was no wheel damage, does not mean metal was not deposited into the engine.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Turbos work just fine without coolant, so 100% that isn't your problem.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There's a old saying, why buy new when used will more then do...

IMO a Turbo dose not fall into that catagory.

I recently bought a new vf52. I only have about 2000 miles in it...time will tell.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There's a old saying, why buy new when used will more then do...

IMO a Turbo dose not fall into that catagory.

I recently bought a new vf52. I only have about 2000 miles in it...time will tell.

I blew my VF40 at 63k miles on my LGT and replaced with a new VF52. have been running it without issue up to the 104k miles I stand at right now.

Granted my tranny just shit the bed because of the turbo.... making too much power :)

6 speed swap happening:spin: now

I would get a new engine block at this stage. And make sure that everything is clean and the oil flow is right.

If you have damage to the oil pump from the first crash then that may be the answer, but there may also be a foreign object in one of the oil lines leading to the turbo.

I know that it may suck, but burning through turbos like there's no tomorrow is a bad thing for your economy.

453747.png

The filter is in the one on the back of the passenger side head, above the cooling banjo that goes to the turbo.

^ this.

The reason I ask about your up pipe is simple. It's catted (I assume) and after x number of miles that cat can begin to break down, especially when it experiences higher than stock EGT's.

I'm thinking you may have some small pieces of the cat breaking off and either scarring the bearings, or blocking an oil passage long enough to cause your problem.

Pull your oil pan off and check it thoroughly for any type of debris. I bet you'll find something.

• Mega Users
There's a cat in the uppipe on 05-06 cars. That's a possibility if the blades were damaged, but there's also the possibility of debris in the oil cooler, metal in the intercooler. The list goes on and with every failed turbo, the problem is only going to get worse. Some things are easily ruled out by looking at the turbo.

Yeah if you have a catted UP get an Invida catless before another turbo goes in... I have a good ear and heard my VF40 sounding like a kazoo and shut her down before it fragged but when I was doing the VF52 I did the UP and DP. When I took the stock UP off the cat was whole inside the pipe but no longer attached to anything and slid freely in the bulge of the pipe. Was only a matter of time until that cat fragged and destroyed both my turbo and engine. It is a stupid design and thats why 07+ stopped having a cat there. It was only there for emissions levels with a cold motor I believe

Archived