LegacyGT.com

4.5k before oil change...worry?

Because rao usually subscribes within 30 seconds of a new oil post. :)

So did I call it or what? Slightly elevated copper, oil sheared to a 20 grade, high sodium from the GTX, and a little bit of fuel. Actually, my fuel is probably closer to what would be shown if you did a Dyson Analysis (his lab has a more accurate way of measuring fuel and it's always higher than BS). I was off on the comments though so maybe BS saw this thread. :) $25 please!

The copper could be from the turbo, but it could just be from the way the oil interacts with the oil cooler as apexi said. Different oils may produce different copper numbers, but I wouldn't be too concerned unless it jumped significantly. I was off on the lead and that's a good thing! So you have little to no bearing wear. Yeah, the Flashpoint is done but this is conventional oil that was run in a turbo. Fuel can be from short trips, running rich from mods (do you have any?) or if the engine was not warmed up when you took the sample. TBN would have been nice and probably would have shown that the oil is spent.

If you want to stick with Castrol, I would highly recommend buying some German Castrol on sale. Even with some fuel dilution, the viscosity won't be affected the way that it would be using Syntec 5W-30 or GTX 5W-30.

-Dennis

Haha you were very close! I've been waiting for your reply, Dennis!

So the TBN would have told me if I had gone too long on the oil? I should have done that, since that was the whole reason I sent the oil in to begin with...

The flashpoint and fuel dilution are new terms to me. I will have to do some reading on this. To answer apexi's question, yes I do a lot of short trips due to either work to home commute or work to my parent's home, all are ~10 minute trips.

Read more on some of the uoa terms at Blackstone. Yes, TBN would have told you how much life is left in the oil. Fuel dilution is an indication of the percentage of fuel in the oil. Blackstone doesn't actually measure the fuel, but they extrapolate based on flashpoint (or is that the other way around?).

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/what-is-a-flash-point.php

-Dennis

So much worrying. Subaru used to say 7500 on dino until they acknowledged the screen filters could get clogged. Then it went to 3750 with synthetic because they didn't want to recall every turbo car out there with those filters.

7500 on synthetic is actually probably _just fine_ as long as you check those screen filters. I checked mine at ~45k, it was completely clean, washed it out with carb cleaner anyway. Checked again at 110k, and it was still clean. I change oil at 7500+ and filters at 3750+ (many times 4000+ due to being lazy) Mobil 1 10w30, or 10w40 (if I can find it).

The biggest problem in this engine is the blow by contaminating the oil with fuel and combustion components. Most of this should burn off as long as you make sure the oil gets to working temp long enough.

• 6 months later...

Got a second analysis done, for those interested. Still using the Castrol GTX 5w30, with no top off in between oil changes. Do you guys think I'll see any improvements going to synthetic, or would you say it's not worth it with these results?

It has my first oil analysis in there for comparison. Copper went from 26 to 15, which is good to see.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9219/oil2.png

Archived