LegacyGT.com

What would you do to your GT at 60k miles?

• Moderators

Recently bought a LGT wagon with ~54k miles. After driving it back to DC from Michigan and owning it for a couple of weeks its closer to 55k now, and I'm starting to think about the 60k mile service. From my understanding this includes air filter replacement, cabin filter replacement, spark plugs, transmission fluid, differential fluid, and brake fluid.

I'm looking for specific recommendations from those in the know about the above services. I'm pretty sure that I can do them all myself--not a gear head but pretty competent working on my car even if it might take me a little while. Any major issues with the services other than some likely difficulty in getting to the plugs?

Should I look to replace the transmission filter as well as the fluid? Should I use superblue brake fluid, or just regular stuff? Any recommendations for plugs? Should I plan to use subaru fluids for trans/diffs or look into Amsoil or another replacement?

Any advice would be much appreciated...looking to start pulling together all the materials now so I have them ready to go when the time comes.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Unless the previous owner switched over to synthetics, just use OEM fluids. Go with the standard NGK plugs. You don't need to replace the Diff fluid in an AT at 60k, I'm not sure if it's specified for a MT. Also replace your coolant. Simple drain and fill. You can add the $2.00 conditioner if you wish.

If any of the fluids were switched over, you should drain and fill with a like fluid. If you want to go back to OEM, the system should be flushed out using correct equipment before fluids are replace. This way you aren't mixing OEM with synthetic, or vice-versa.

Tell us what tranny you have and year of the car.

I didn't replace my coolant until I did the timing belt. I have never replaced the brake fluid.

Have you checked your oil level since you bought the car. These cars use oil.

Things you should do at 60,000 miles, spark plugs, oil change, 5mt anf rear diff fluid change.

Use Extra S from Subaru or do some research on the cocktail mix for the fluid.

PM BAC5.2, he's the go to guy for these things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators

The car is a 2005 5EAT. I replaced the oil shortly after I drove it home. Checked it after a couple hundred miles and the level looks good.

I have all the service records for the car from Dunning Subaru. All maintenance was performed at the dealer and I don't believe they did anything to switch to synthetics, so I'll probably stick with regular fluids. I would normally use synthetic oil, but this time I stuck with what the dealer was using: valvoline 5w30, IIRC.

The factory fluids are fine if you plan on changing at factory intervals.

Change the brake fluid as it absorbs some moisture over time which leads to demise of braking power and components.

• Moderators
Thanks thanks. Sounds like OEM is probably the way to go for just about everything. Not gonna be an issue to change fluids, etc every 30k and the plugs will likely need to be changed every 60k no matter what so...

Archived