LegacyGT.com

Any advice on a snow tire set-up?

I just bought a 2008 Legacy 3.0R Limited model with 18-inch tires. I do a lot of traveling back and forth across the Cascades during the winter and need a decent snow tire. The available snow tires for the 18-inch rims run $300 plus per and need to be special-ordered. But I'm told that 17-inch tires will fit and work fine, saving enough money to get a decent set of rims for an easy seasonal swap. My questions:

1. Is mileage affected by dropping from 18-inch tires to 17-inch tires?

2. Does the speedometer reading remain true?

3. ANy other ideas that I might be overlooking here?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

The hardest part will be finding a set of 17" wheels and tires that will be less than $300 per. Then you have to worry about the TPMS sensors and the light going on on your dash. For an additional $80 per wheel, you can buy another set of sensors for your 17" wheels. Then every spring and winter when you swap, you need to get your TPMS computer reprogrammed since you can only have four sensors programed at a time. Thats another $30-50. Unless you buy another TPMS computer for $70 and swap the computer back and forth. You might be better off finding a GOOD set of all season tires and putting them on once.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=145YR8ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2008&autoModel=Legacy Sedan 3.0R Limited&autoModClar=With OE Rubber Valve Stems

I am running this

Continental DWS, great for the money, for an all-around setup.

Best option if money isn't a major concern, is to have your 18s for summer, get a new set of 17s with performance snows, or Ice/Snow tires.

If the TPMS light blinking doesn't bother you, don't worry about it, and skip getting sensors in the 17s.

For winter driving it's a good idea to go to higher tire profile and smaller rims since you will get better grip in slippery conditions. Your goal shall be to avoid zero grip - ice conditions - not the best grip in dry or wet conditions.

So a set of real winter tires will save the day when the roads becomes a skating rink. Just look at all those "car bowling" videos at youtube to see what I mean.

As for the tpms - live with it and monitor your tires manually.

453747.png

Go with 17", buy a used set of rims off of craigslist or similar. They are everywhere. I picked up a used set of 17's and a year old set up blizzaks for my LGT which also has 18's for under 500 total. The blizzaks look absolutely brand new and the wheels fit great. Make sure to do a test fit, IMO, always just in case something isnt going to fit quite right.

All of this is fabulous information, folks. Many thanks ... keep it coming. :) I do travel roads that get dicey during the winter, so I don't think that a set of all-season tires will do the trick, even with the AWD.

So the lights on the dash flash at you if you don't put the sensors in the snow tires? Is there any way to disable it ... turn it off somehow? Just curious. Thanks again -- great advice from one and all.

The only way I know of to disable the light is with one of these:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/ALgXwLNddd_W-9KOHG18dnZOdFs6B9L41loEsd2sQsxCxCKPUcGIm2keqYvWzwjeAXaIibSARHd1HKUO_lxdhW9BuDdznJ0RGbtwIAGfUPcjQLl4LG8bLjoVRqYbTL8zevIW1mnuWYUfgSwzfLyE83I2JXXCtO6g_pM90jh4MSJPIm09BbnrybPsBr3SYy73DnHhItlTPUq875_nqN9loCxcW2DrkXieT6hPbDNR2fQ8RPjm1n1sxZbhhUT3cSd749jiwaVduuVgxb7DHH9R4iWXGsyfzr9fmdhENArVRjvURL-29y-MOxLDtV8GXk_CTw

Simply cut a piece slightly larger than the size of the light and apply over the light.

TPMS systems cannot be disabled. From my understanding, its kind of like removing the tag on a matress. Only the owner can do it if you can figure out how. If you can please post how you did it!

• I Donated
All of this is fabulous information, folks. Many thanks ... keep it coming. :) I do travel roads that get dicey during the winter, so I don't think that a set of all-season tires will do the trick, even with the AWD.

So the lights on the dash flash at you if you don't put the sensors in the snow tires? Is there any way to disable it ... turn it off somehow? Just curious. Thanks again -- great advice from one and all.

The light won't flash, it will be solid-on. It would be much more annoying if it flashed.

The only way I know of to disable the light is with one of these:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/ALgXwLNddd_W-9KOHG18dnZOdFs6B9L41loEsd2sQsxCxCKPUcGIm2keqYvWzwjeAXaIibSARHd1HKUO_lxdhW9BuDdznJ0RGbtwIAGfUPcjQLl4LG8bLjoVRqYbTL8zevIW1mnuWYUfgSwzfLyE83I2JXXCtO6g_pM90jh4MSJPIm09BbnrybPsBr3SYy73DnHhItlTPUq875_nqN9loCxcW2DrkXieT6hPbDNR2fQ8RPjm1n1sxZbhhUT3cSd749jiwaVduuVgxb7DHH9R4iWXGsyfzr9fmdhENArVRjvURL-29y-MOxLDtV8GXk_CTw

Simply cut a piece slightly larger than the size of the light and apply over the light.

TPMS systems cannot be disabled. From my understanding, its kind of like removing the tag on a matress. Only the owner can do it if you can figure out how. If you can please post how you did it!

If we had the sensors in the valve stems the way to trick it is to put your valve stems in a pressurized vessel inside of the vehicle with the exact tire pressure. I was on a F150 forum at one point too and people were doing that when it first came out when they put 33's or 35's on their trucks. So, I guess if you got a setof sensors for our wheels, and had them programmed to the right frequency for your specific car and did the same thing, you would never have to worry about them again.

i havent used them on my LGT since it doesn't snow that bad here to require them imo.

but when i lived in buffalo, and had a fwd integra, i used blizzaks and could plow through anything with them. if i ever went to buy them for the LGT, they'd be top of the list.

If we had the sensors in the valve stems the way to trick it is to put your valve stems in a pressurized vessel inside of the vehicle with the exact tire pressure. I was on a F150 forum at one point too and people were doing that when it first came out when they put 33's or 35's on their trucks. So, I guess if you got a setof sensors for our wheels, and had them programmed to the right frequency for your specific car and did the same thing, you would never have to worry about them again.

This doesn't work for Subaru sensors. The sensors need the tire rotation to activate.

I found them on NASIOC "Private Classifieds" for my area...check yours at http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129

Pretty sure you will find some....I have bought 3 sets over the past few years...2 for the LGT and one for my wife's Impreza.....$700 is the most I paid so far....also try the local wrecking yards around your area....some specialize in Subaru parts....I picked up 4 Legacy 16" mags back when I had an Impreza RS......$50 each

Definitely check nasioc or any regional/state subaru forum. Every 17" Subaru wheel except the 05+ STi will fit your Legacy without any issue, so don't stick to just the Legacy forum here. You will constantly find people selling wheels with well-treaded (1 or 2 seasons) winter tires, especially now that the cold weather is starting to move in.
It's cool; I'm with the band

You guys are all great; thanks for the suggestions and help. And yes, winter is starting to get a foothold out here.

Scooby Fan: Those tired and rims look great; congrats. Nothing has shown locally yet, but I'l scouring the want-ads.

Used to live in West Lafayette, Joe. Go Boilers!

Archived