LegacyGT.com

COBB DP, STI up pipe, ECU flash dyno results

redline76

I also just want to say congrats to you, Redline76. I know exactly what you're talking about as far as stage 2 really "waking up" the Legacy's true performance capability.

I have spoken with Dan at HM about what might be expected from a StreetTuner reflash. He said it would likely be in the 10 hp range. Maybe a little more torque. Mostly, it was about developing a "safer" tune or one that really looks at the AFRs, timing issues, etc. and adjusting them to the best settings for my particular vehicle. That sounds great and all, but it's hard to sink nearly $500 large for that. The idea of getting an optional "racing gas map" based on super-high octane fuel is not so appealing because of the cost of that gas. I'd probably be too tempted all the time to pay too much for gas just to enjoy the added hp.

I am hoping to move up to either the 18G or 20G turbo soon. Then, the Cobb StreetTuner will get a chance to show what it's made of!

Thanks, although it's hard to take any credit for anything except pissing away money :lol:

Dan and his crew obviously know their stuff; they're the ones who deserve the credit for pulling some good numbers out of the car.

I agree with you about the incremental benefit vs. excessive $. I would consider the 18G/injectors at some point, but for now I'm satisfied with the way the car is performing and I'm sure I'll be going through enough of the 91 octane as is.

I'll report back in a week or two about the effect of the mods on MPG. I get around 20-22 currently in a mix of 75% fwy, 25% city.

I'll report back in a week or two about the effect of the mods on MPG. I get around 20-22 currently in a mix of 75% fwy, 25% city.

If your trend follows mine......it will fall to around 18/19 mpg avg. I don't think it's because it's less fuel efficient. It's just too damn tempting to press down the GO pedal all the time!

Gave the wagon to the boys at Harman yesterday to play with. I had them install an STI up pipe, Cobb catted downpipe, and do an ECUtek reflash. For reference, Harman uses a Dynojet.

Stock:

HP - 205

TQ - 215

Stage 2:

HP - 253

TQ- 272

I can scan the dyno sheet if anyone's really interested.

Subjectively these are my impressions:

The car makes excellent power. It's strongest in the midrange, so it really pulls after 3K. 3rd gear acceleration on the fwy is extremely fun. It's torquey around town; it feels as if the car dropped 400 pounds. Throttle response is a bit choppy; I'm going to speak with Dan as he mentioned that there were drive-by-wire settings that could be altered in the reflash. Power-wise, these mods will be enough for the majority of Legacy owners, I suspect. It really does accelerate ferociously like the STI I used to own.

The Cobb downpipe is not silent. You definitely hear the turbo spool and recirc as you get on and off the throttle. If the windows are up, it's not nearly as detectable. Windows down, you realize you're not so stealty anymore. Almost like a mini BOV effect, if that's what you're after. I've heard a bit of wastegate flutter but only when I'm really listening for it and if there's a surface to reflect sound, i.e. running along a row of parked cars at part throttle or a concrete divider while entering the fwy. I'm pretty picky about these sorts of things, so I'm personally not a fan of the "symphony of sounds" but it's liveable for now. I'll let you all know how annoyed I am next week :lol:

All said, it's tough to stay out of the throttle and the car is responsive :)

Hats off to Dan and the Harman crew; they did a nice job on the car and were extremely pleasant to deal with. I had a clanking issue with the front Whiteline swaybar and they quickly traced it down to a loose endlink bolt, no charge. I definitely recommend their services to all in the LA area. Very much a no bullshit approach which I appreciate.

I also threw on a set of 18" wheels (f***ing hypocrite), but I'll save that for the "wheels" discussion.

I'lll take a scan of the Dyno sheet...both stock and modded. tx.

Very cool stuff, redline76!

:)

A rather subjective question - how's your exhaust smell with the catted DP?

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Very cool stuff, redline76!

A rather subjective question - how's your exhaust smell with the catted DP?

-A

I catch a slight whiff of something every now and then but the pipe is new so I figure I'll give it a couple of weeks to heat cycle before I state outright that the car has a non-catalyzed smell. I think the designs that put the cat closer to the turbo are probably better in this regard.

LEGA-C-YA and redline76,

I -VERY- much appreciate your responses. I not only need to pass Ohio E-Check emissions, but more importantly, the wifey's all-important nose-test!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

LEGA-C-YA and redline76,

I -VERY- much appreciate your responses. I not only need to pass Ohio E-Check emissions, but more importantly, the wifey's all-important nose-test!

-A

Ohio eCheck is now OBDII based. If your car is not showing any codes, and the computer says the I/M readiness tests have been passed, you're good to go.

'sides, Ohio eCheck will be bye-bye next year.

John

^^^

John, LOL. :D That's what they *_always_* say about E-Check. ;)

As for OBD-II, I thought that they still put the sniffer up the tailpipe?

-A

^^^

John, LOL. :D That's what they *_always_* say about E-Check. ;)

As for OBD-II, I thought that they still put the sniffer up the tailpipe?

-A

Here's the link to the 'revised' echeck guidelines:

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/echeck/testing_info/obd_faq.html

Ohio has not renewed the contract with the company that performs the tests, and it expires in December.

John

Hey, my birthday is in December - that'll be a nice gift. ;)

As for the guidelines....if I'm reading that correctly, by lack of stating that an OBD-II car will be tailpipe "sniffed," it should mean that we won't get the sniffer, right?

That's very interesting indeed, as when I had my last E-Check (5/2005, on my Talon), the OBD-II cars -at least the ones that I saw in the other line- were still poked with something up their rear-ends... Definitely no treadmilling, though.

?

-A

Hey, my birthday is in December - that'll be a nice gift. ;)

As for the guidelines....if I'm reading that correctly, by lack of stating that an OBD-II car will be tailpipe "sniffed," it should mean that we won't get the sniffer, right?

That's very interesting indeed, as when I had my last E-Check (5/2005, on my Talon), the OBD-II cars -at least the ones that I saw in the other line- were still poked with something up their rear-ends... Definitely no treadmilling, though.

?

-A

No sniffer. Now, I'm in Cincinnati and since January 1, no OBDII cars have been sniffed. My Audi was scanned, as was my bosses Maxima and a friends Honda. Previous echecking of the Audi was sniffed, but not on the rollers.

However, that doesn't mean the high school dropouts that work for eCheck wouldn't sniff a car. Hell, when I had a MR2 they put the front wheels on the roller. My biggest grip with eCheck is it's lack of consistency, and the

fact that it's not state wide.

John

I think you made three separate points in there, John - and, honestly, all I can say is agreed, agreed, agreed.

Maybe I should take my LGT for a little tour around and see which of the stations here performs the OBD-II w/o sniffer.

Thanks again for the confirmation and the information. :)

-A

?

-A

I've had two cars done since the new requirements went into effect (my Z28 and previous Ford Ranger). I can definitely say there is no longer a "sniffer" test for 1996 and newer cars. As for the e-check going away for good... I'll believe it when I see it. I had one car tested in Willoughby off Lost Nation, the other was in Chardon off Auburn Road.

Back on topic...

redline76,

It's nice to see the aftermarket parts/tuning living up to all of the hype with real, live dyno results!! Thanks for providing the graphs. They're giving me (and I'm sure others) a lot to think about!

Bruddah, I think I've gotta go where you go. :)

-A

• 2 months later...

Hey redline76,

You wouldnt happen to be the silver LGT wagon that often parks in the lot near the data center at Toyota, are you? I too own a silver LGT wagon and have seen a car that looks just like mine over there quite often.

Archived