LegacyGT.com

ISC vs BC BR vs Megan Racing Coils

Jimblaz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bmx045 gave me a ride with his BC's. They are not anywhere close to as bad as some people would say. Actually for comfort over medium-crappy roads, it's just about like stock even with hard camber plates (Note I think the stock dampers are unnecessarily shit), except a whole lot less roll/dive/squat. If you could pull them apart and revalve them it could be much better. For the money it's a steal. Hard to justify spending more than twice as much for "brand" coilovers.

I'm probably getting old and cranky, lol. But the event that convinced me to buy my first set of RCE Tarmacs was driving a 20g wagon on 19's. 100+mph, rolling hill, dropping down with a railroad track right the the middle (unknown road to me, owner told me to punch it). I tap the breaks in preparation when I first glimpse the tracks, he says "no" when he feels it, I floor it (horsepower gets me out of far more situations than brakes ever have). Hit the tracks at over 100mph. Car rides it like it was glass. I mean, I dont even feel it. Was more than impressed for a set of coils made for the street that were under $2k. I have paid $3k+ for a single coil for my race bikes. So, I went home and ordered a set that night.

Was never disappointed until I had to make an evasive line change on a banked oval at 145+mph (closed course, I meant to say line, not lane, it was my line the a-hole going slower stepped into). Almost scratched my baby correcting. Thats when I switched to the AST set up.

I haven't called anyone because I don't know where to start.

I had emailed Stance last year, and while the replied asking for more information it didn't go anywhere. A follow up email this year yielded no response.

Sorry, I meant Stance, not swift. Anyway, whoever it is will probably make something better than the BC/Megans that are currently available.

The trouble is getting several people to agree on what a good coilover is for the Outback. Some people like the "slammed" look while others still like to preserve the stock ride height.

Personally I like it about 1-1.5" lower than stock.

My Megans ride very rough. If I soften the damping the car starts flopping about again. Ride quality is junk.

I don't track the car. I want a good compliant ride that will let me throw the car around in the twisties on a Sunday. I want it to be secure on twisty mountain roads and stable through long sweeping freeway curves.

I'm quite happy with the ride quality in my friend's Gen Coupe V6 (non-track version). You feel the bumps but they're quite nicely dampened.

My Megans would have you think the shock bodies are filled with pebbles.

Pricing is an issue too. $1500 is really pushing it. I know in the world of coilovers this is peanuts, but if a set of Bilsteins and springs can be had for $1000... I just don't like the idea of cobbling together spacers, etc...

My Megans are 4 years old. 4 years of shit ride, now they're starting to clunk. I thought it was the cold weather but that's unlikely. I DO need a new set of coilovers, so this isn't just me dreaming here. :)

We had a customer with an Outback riding Megans. He had us swap them out for a set of LGT Konis on Epic springs. He has been very happy with the change. Still has his lowered look (car looks sick), but ride is far more compliant. Plus adjust ability of konis allows him to dial it in for DD and weekend fun.

If I wanted to fit in with the custom import crowd that hangs out at the donut shop every friday night I'd consider LGT suspension. That's why I'm pretty much limited to the coilovers. I'm 6' 2.5" and I'd like to be able to load groceries into the trunk without hitting my head on the liftgate. I can do that now with the height I have the car set at, any lower and I'll be bumping my head.

See if the people you know running the Megans are interested in any changes and let me know if you can. Thanks :)

Archived