LegacyGT.com

Oil consumption at the race track, Help!

doccrowley

Motor builder wants 20-50weight for any track event that would be 20 minute sessions or greater during summer season.

I have been using chevron 15-40 turbo diesel truck synthetic oil for my track days with great success. Having the KillerB oil pan and running 1/2 a quart more full has worked well.

The only issues I have had was during an ~hour session in high-heat (~90 degrees paddock temps), where I ended the session with about 3 quarts low. :eek:

I use a grimmspeed AOS (getting the oil cap to seal without leakage took some finessing...I used a torque wrench until I got the right feel).

Get rid of your aos. My problems have been resolved with the dual moroso catch cans.

The GSAOS has been shown to act like a siphon on track and has actually caused a few hydrolocked motors. I would use the Moroso catch can instead.

My guess is this is your issue.

-Paisan

How does this happen exactly? Do the GS-equipped cars just have a large amount of oil vapor in the system and as it evacuates it drops the pressure in the whole oil system?

reading more threads on this (iwsti.com has a 100+ page thread on this very topic) and found a page which suggests the ultimate track setup is crawford aos with a catch can ( http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2202353-post6.html ) on the turbo inlet for extreme conditions.

having already nuked an engine running it dry on the track, and coming close a couple of times this season, this looks like an idea worth exploring.

with regards oil in the intake from the GSAOS, this sounds like a match for a problem I have had a few times after some really long sessions ...the cold side of the intercooler had so much oil coming out that the compressed air pipe (forget actual name) came loose. So much so, that I check the tightness of the t-bolt clamp holding it on before every track day.

How does this happen exactly? Do the GS-equipped cars just have a large amount of oil vapor in the system and as it evacuates it drops the pressure in the whole oil system?

Most tracks are clockwise.

Left valvecover can get full of oil.

Get off the gas and PCV vacuum sucks it right up and past the oil fill thingie and into the motor. I've seen it happen in one session at VIR and luckily all the oil caused the Y-pipe elbow to slip off so we took the thing off.

They are probably OK on a street car but not for track use.

reading more threads on this (iwsti.com has a 100+ page thread on this very topic) and found a page which suggests the ultimate track setup is crawford aos with a catch can ( http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2202353-post6.html ) on the turbo inlet for extreme conditions.

having already nuked an engine running it dry on the track, and coming close a couple of times this season, this looks like an idea worth exploring.

with regards oil in the intake from the GSAOS, this sounds like a match for a problem I have had a few times after some really long sessions ...the cold side of the intercooler had so much oil coming out that the compressed air pipe (forget actual name) came loose. So much so, that I check the tightness of the t-bolt clamp holding it on before every track day.

You should remove it right away.

Big catch cans w/ big hoses running up high and preferably to the right. (Assuming your tracks are clockwise)

I'd guess either the Moroso or Crawford is OK - or just make one. The routing, hose size and location are what matters.

Most tracks are clockwise.

Left valvecover can get full of oil.

Get off the gas and PCV vacuum sucks it right up and past the oil fill thingie and into the motor. I've seen it happen in one session at VIR and luckily all the oil caused the Y-pipe elbow to slip off so we took the thing off.

They are probably OK on a street car but not for track use.

This....

Mike

Grimmspeed Air/Oil separator coming tomorrow. Going to run both crankcase vents and valve cover vents into it, then return line (clear) to the inlet to see if oil in inlet will stop.

I dont know for sure what to think about this but here is a recent post on NASIOC about oil being sucked through the grimmspeed AOS during Autocross and what to do to check to see if it is.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1925801&page=15

I would like to retract my previous positive review about the Grimmspeed AOS. To start let me be clear that in no way am I bashing Grimmspeed as a company, but the design of this AOS is very flawed. Let it be known that I am big Grimmspeed supporter and own/run many of their products, including their boost solenoid, header, and uppipe.

Under hard cornering and boost, oil will simply come up the filler neck, and up the valve cover hoses. Since the AOS becomes the oil cap, oil will hit the top, and the AOS will become overwhelmed. Under stock routing, the oil cap is a hard stop. But with the GS AOS, the air/oil will take the path of least resistance, and that path is the turbo inlet return line. Oil is then sucked into the intake stream, which can lower octane levels and cause detonation/knock, which can eventually lead to a broken ringland, etc.

Don't believe me? Put a clear hose on the middle port and then go drive in an autocross. Check the middle clear line after your first or second run, and it will be dirty with some oil inside of it. The fix is a catch-can, or a REAL AOS. I decided to pick-up a Crawford V2 AOS and couldn't be happier. The fact runs much better and power delivery feels great. The theory is simple: less oil in intake stream = less knock = more timing = more power. The stock breather routing is better than the GS AOS for any car that sees boost.

More of an FYI than anything.

I had a grimmspeed but finally changed it out for a V2 Crawford. I actually was tired of having to use a wrench every single time I checked my oil. :p

IMHO it is easier to just put an AOS in like the crawford and forget about it.

Your call....

• 1 month later...

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread again...

I run, so far, only counter-clockwise tracks. Do all the same rules about big hoses mounted high still apply? Putting the Crawford AOS on the right-side by the turbo is the only mounting location, right? Should I add a catch can on the left side to catch any wayward overflow?

Archived