LegacyGT.com

loose front end/suspension?

hello peeps.

My car's front end/suspension is loose. Or some component is loose. I am not exactly sure but by gut feeling tells me its the struts.

I removed the wheels and all the parts seem tight. Could it be the strut? You can feel it over rough pavements.

how good are these struts? how long are they supposed to last? my car has 38k miles.

Am on the oem struts in my 05 wagon. 144,000 miles.

Do you hear a clunking noise over small cracks in the drive way or parking lots ?

If yes, it's the end links.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yes, Subaru is known for that.

Look in the suspension forum for tips on how to replace them.

Hint, by solid end links not the OEM style.

Do you have a cut off wheel ? Or will you pay someone to replace them ?

38,000 miles, are you still under warrenty ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I would think so. See if they will let you buy solid end links and have them replace them.

Solid one's use real nuts and bolts, and are easy to replace. The OEM style are easiest to cut off. The nut's rust and the allen wrench slips.

Your car may be new enough...with some PB Blaster they may come off. Mine on my 05 last Fall one un-bolted, the other 3 I had to cut off.

You won't see the wear on the end links. They have a plastic socket in them that wears out and causes the clunking sound. The front end of my car started making that same sound this spring. I replaced the end links and the clunk went away. One of the balls had a lot of slop in the socket which I believe was causing the noise. I could never have seen that with them installed.

You won't see the wear on the end links. They have a plastic socket in them that wears out and causes the clunking sound. The front end of my car started making that same sound this spring. I replaced the end links and the clunk went away. One of the balls had a lot of slop in the socket which I believe was causing the noise. I could never have seen that with them installed.

did you use after market? and which one?

my car is NOT lowered although i am considering it.

ahhh no need for a cut off wheel i take these things off all the time. just need a handy 3/8 air gun and a set of vice grips.

hit the nut with the gun a couple times..pumping the trigger, dont just hold the trigger.

if the nut doesnt come off all the way with that then just take and vice grip the boot (since replacing anyway) then hit it with the gun. come off every time.

and if you car is under warranty then yes these would be covered. but i wouldnt go there because you'll just get stock replacements.

and to check the end links take a pry bar and pry on the sway bar useing the frame. if they are bad you should feel it.

Loose strut mounts are another possibility. I've seen two LGTs with this issue -- one of which was mine. I thought the noise was endlinks as well, but when I took it to the dealer (it was under warranty) and they claimed it was my endlinks, so they replaced them. When I picked the car up it still made the exact same noise! Needless to say I was pissed. I went to a different dealer and found out it was a loose strut mount.

Loose strut mounts are another possibility. I've seen two LGTs with this issue -- one of which was mine. I thought the noise was endlinks as well, but when I took it to the dealer (it was under warranty) and they claimed it was my endlinks, so they replaced them. When I picked the car up it still made the exact same noise! Needless to say I was pissed. I went to a different dealer and found out it was a loose strut mount.

very common mistake suprisingly..:spin:

as easy as it is to test whether or not it is the end links i see people replace these all the time to find out it wasnt the issue.

Archived