LegacyGT.com

using chevron techron fuel injector conditioner

Chevron 93 octane / Shell V Power 93 save the $$ on the fuel injector cleaner;)

Chevron does contain techron & is a great fuel, but not available in my area. Als, some fuel's even Shell V Power aren't always from the same quality batch. Many times I see sataions being filled with off brand fuel trucks. This is why its probably a wise investment to add a fuel conditioner every 3000 miles.

Don't you have Sunoco, if so go with the 94 octane:)

Your missing the issue. Yes I have Sunoco, Shell, & Mobil. However, these gasoline's are not always of the same quality (sulfur & octane) as advertised. Very few gas staions are regulated in the US, with the exception being the state of California. Only in California, its an absolute that your getting the exact octane your paying for & the amount of sulfur in the fuel. Sulfur levels in other parts of the country are not regulated.

Chevron Techron is the only additive approved by Porsche - it should be ok for teh Subaru. :) using it probably once every month or two is plenty, or even overkill on a new car.

At my first service the dealer supplied a bottle of fuel conditioner stuff (Castrol?), noting that it should be put in the tank about halfway to next service (ie at 3750mi of 7500mi).

BTW, Porsche recommend no more than two Techron treatments between oil changes IIRC.

jp

05 OBW , 83 928

As for Sunoco fuels, there's no more 94 in the area of NY that I live in. They call it ULTRA 93 now -- and it's just as expensive.

I used to use to the cleaners in other cars, but have not used them in the WRX I traded, nor the legacy. I asked about it a while ago...but didn't seem favorable...oh well. Guess a bottle or two couldn't hurt to try...at some point...but I wouldn't try it...unless it's 'proven' to help.

An issue not brought up often is that overuse of these cleaners is not a good idea. Not sure how much is too much but it can be overdone. What is the downside of too much detergent in the fuel? The additive outfits never really say.

• 2 months later...

I recently put some gumout in my tank, and it helped greatly.. however, two tanks of gas later, the old problems were back, albeit not nearly as bad as before.

The only tank of 87oct my car has ever seen was the one that came with it. Otherwise 91/93 since new (Aug 03) Gas quality I think has more to do with this issues reoccurance than using injector juice. I've also heard that excessive use of cleaners isn't good in the long run. I'd say if you use cleaner, and better gas, and the issues persist, you might try a fuel system flush, new fuel filter / lines / injectors etc.

I have a new fuel filter waiting to be installed, if that doesn't do my any more good, I'm going to start leaning towards getting new injectors and possible have my gas tank flushed.. as it seems to get really bad the lower my gas level gets.

Archived