LegacyGT.com

I hate deciding on exhaust

bladerunner

At least I have it down to three. Borla, AVO or Cobb. This is worse than deciding on which car I was going to get. Quality is my big issue and for some vehicle parts the old saying is, "you get what you pay for". By the way everyones aftermarket exhaust looks great. I did a search yesterday and spent about 2 hours looking at everyones pictures and reading their posts. Great forum.

Not there yet but Im thinking compatibality. If you have the Cobb AP would the Cobb pipes be a better match?

Not necessarily. Cobb doesn't design their maps to certain branded hardware, they just make assumptions on how much flow, etc they are going to get from parts (aka, downpipe). At least that's my take on it.

But, the better flow, the more power.

I'm also looking to get a cat-back exhaust. I'm interested in a louder, sportier exhaust note. From what I've gathered, I understand the stock system is just as efficient from a performance standpoint as any cat-back aftermarket system. Also, it kind've sucks that I already like the appearance of the stock exhaust tips.

I'll probably go with the Borla. My only hesitation is that some people have said the difference is sound quality is not that substantial. I've never heard the Borla in person, but there is a clip on this site. The clip sounds perfect to be, but it's hard to judge the sheer difference in decibels because we don't know where the mic was placed, ect.

Anyone wish to critique the Borla vs. other cat-backs??

FOr me the thing holding me back fm an exhaust is that i really love the silence in the car. Im thinking ill hold out a TBE thou. It seems like a waste to get a CBE to me.

^^^

+1

If it were just me, I'd go for anything that had a tone/sound I liked within the cabin and weren't outright obnoxious outside.

But the problem here is that my wife has pretty strict standards for cabin-noise, and I'm thus in your boat, too, jj808.

I need something that's near stock-level quiet inside, but has at least good-to-excellent flow. Exterior sound levels and exactly how the unit sounds "aesthetically" would be, for me, side-issues/icing-on-the-cake.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Hmm has any one opened the resonator and see how it's made/works?

Would a full 2.5" exhaust WITH the stock resonator do the job? I wonder if anyone would be crazy enough to do that. Also the choice of mufflers would be a big part of it as well.

If you want sound out of your exhaust, the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to get rid of the resonator. Usually between $25-$50 for that. Then the possiblities are almost endless, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. That is, if you are thinking about a custom exhaust. The stock mufflers really "choke" the sound of the boxer engine. Ever look at 'em?
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

almondcookie,

I just might be the crazy one, eventually......my wife is too noise-sensitive.

I'm even considering going the route of getting N1-type canisters (even though I really do not like that styling to be on my LGT) and popping in silencers when I know the wifey is going to be in the car.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

almondcookie,

Definitely, the "corking" effect works well, as you've cited. My twin-canister setup on my old N/T 2.0L DOHC Eclipse with a Megan, using silencers, effectively had her sounding stock as far as noise levels went.

But even in such a low-HP, low-torque application, backpressure increase from "plugging" the exhaust was *_significant_* and actually could be registered even by my rather thick and insensitive butt-dyno.

I'd *_hate_* to have to totally readjust my driving habits when the wifey is in the car with me - but then again, I do tend to drive in a much more sedate manner when she's riding, anyway.......

Ugh, maybe I'll just go for an electric cut-out? :)

-A

What about the LEgacy STi Sport Exhaust?

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbp_legacy/image/2-7.jpg

I know it's for the Jap spec car, but will these fit on out USDM cars. Yes it would be around $1000 or so for them, but would look and sound sweet.

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/sound/legacy_001.wma Sound clip link on the STi site. Yeah, it 2.0L JDM motor...

What about the LEgacy STi Sport Exhaust?

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbp_legacy/image/2-7.jpg

Yes it would be around $1000 or so for them, but would look and sound sweet.

Try about $1400 to your door. :eek:

almondcookie,

Not a bad idea - especially then I would get to also do the following on road-trips:

(1) play "my music" as loud as I want

(2) pass gas freely

Hum.....I think I'd better pick up a gas-mask for the wifey, too.....

-A

removing the resonator did nothing for me, but then again my fan is stuck on and is real loud, so may be wrong.. But I did go get some borla mufflers at a local muffler shop put on.... couldnt go cat-back just yet but wanted the sound... so went for it.... plan on getting the avo cat-back in a month or two..but just the borla mufflers sound great, not sure if there the same mufflers like the cat-back but do sound great...

Archived