LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest: DIY 5EAT built rebuild kits

ClimberDHexMods

Would you spend $1000 on a DIY 5EAT race rebuild kit?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend $1000 on a DIY 5EAT race rebuild kit?

• Yes, and I would do all the wrenching myself
    • Yes, but I would have my mechanic do the work
    • No, I'll leave this to my transmission shop

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man with your level of power, stick with AWD. Things holding up well?

AWD is just limiting my power at this point.. RWD and tubbed out with some fat tires would certainly be fun.

So far so good but we have not upped the ante yet. Breaking the motor in before the re-tune which should be happening soon. Then we will see what happens when I'm pushing 35+psi (assuming my oem ecu will allow it first)

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

AWD is just limiting my power at this point.. RWD and tubbed out with some fat tires would certainly be fun.

So far so good but we have not upped the ante yet. Breaking the motor in before the re-tune which should be happening soon. Then we will see what happens when I'm pushing 35+psi (assuming my oem ecu will allow it first)

No reason the ECU won't allow it... AFAIK at least.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 year later...

So, one of the stumbling blocks of clutch pack rebuilds appears to be the availability of the piston seals by themselves. I have yet to find them availably separately for the input, direct and high/low clutch pack pistons. If we can find them, it would keep the cost down. Anybody want to help look?

It would seem they're only available as part of a rebuilt kit which contains all of the gaskets, seals, sealing rings, etc. That adds significantly to the potential price. If the remaining rebuild kit pieces ship with the rebuilt clutch packs, but adds $200, would it be worth it?

Ballpark pricing looks like $1,100 for stage 2 clutch packs with 7 input pairs, 7 direct pairs and 5 high/low pairs. Stage 2.5 with 8/8/5 for ~$1,300. Stage 3 would be 8/8/6 for ~$1,600. That doesn't include an estimated $600 refundable core deposit. Does that price it out of consideration?

I estimate stage 2 to be good for 325whp and stage 3 for 400whp without VB mods. Significantly more, like an additional 100-150whp, with VB mods.

Just looking for input and a little help finding those seals at this point.

Well, those estimates are ricer math anyhow, based on the stock trans holding around 300 whp for around 50,000 miles before they let loose. At the power levels I'm throwing out there, I'm hoping they'd be good for 100,000+ miles. I think that's easily attainable, especially with VB mods.

A stage 3 trans with VB mods would satisfy your needs. Hell, I think frank_ster was putting down 500+ whp and wtq on a stock 5EAT with ClimberD's VB mods. The VB mods are stage 1 in my mind, but a necessary pre-req for longevity of any 5EAT.

The costs are what I'm concerned with here. The builds are possible, and holding power won't be a problem, but I'm worrying about them being cost prohibitive, especially in light of the high core costs. Just for reference, the OEM clutch packs range from $900-$1100 street price for three, and a lot more from the dealer.

Also, until the '08+ VB mods are ready, this may be the only option for those folks wanting to aim for higher power.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm finalizing details and will be working with ClimberD on getting things ready for sale. I've had to work through some parts supply issues, but have good alternate options, and the end results won't be compromised.

• 3 weeks later...

Ballpark pricing looks like $1,100 for stage 2 clutch packs with 7 input pairs, 7 direct pairs and 5 high/low pairs. Stage 2.5 with 8/8/5 for ~$1,300. Stage 3 would be 8/8/6 for ~$1,600. That doesn't include an estimated $600 refundable core deposit. Does that price it out of consideration?

I estimate stage 2 to be good for 325whp and stage 3 for 400whp without VB mods. Significantly more, like an additional 100-150whp, with VB mods.

Just looking for input and a little help finding those seals at this point.

Is this for the clutch packs in isolation only? Assembled including machining etc?

Would you be willing to ship to Australia?

At those prices I'd be willing to pay for a stage 3 kit (and even more if it is possible - ie, more clutch packs and steel plates I this is available, irrespective of cost).

Mick

Short answer is yes. You'll get precision toleranced, machined, and assembled input, direct and hi/lo/rev clutch packs as well as new front brake components and an overhaul kit which includes seals, sealing rings, gaskets, o-rings, etc. If you're mechanically inclined and competent, you can install everything yourself. Or any shop that rebuilds automatics and is willing to use your supplied parts can do it for you.

If you're willing to pay for shipping to Australia with adequate insurance, I'd be willing to ship there. Core return time could be a factor, but we can discuss that offline.

Note that there's been price creep and redesign since those initial estimates. Stage 2 will be 8/8/5/2 (input pairs, direct, hi/lo/rev, front brake) for $1,500. Stage 3 will be 8/8/6/3 for $1,900. Core costs are likely to be $900, since that's what it takes for me to buy new core units if you don't return yours for me to rebuild for the next guy.

Price increases are mostly due to unobtainium clutch pistons that seemed to be available from a few vendors, but were actually just piston retainers, even though they were clearly illustrated otherwise. Since those aren't available, it necessitated a redesign of the process and parts used, and machining labor has to be added back in. That and adding more parts, such as all the components for a front brake rebuild and a general transmission overhaul. Adding steels and frictions for a rebuild of all of the other clutches will be an added cost option of $250.

The 8/8/6/3 build will be the ultimate build for the 5EAT. No more clutches will fit in the space given, even with opening that space up to the maximum possible.

Sincerely appreciate the swift response and detailed info

I'm definitely keen irrespective of cost.

For the sake of the greater forum ill ask this one last question before taking it to pm:

Is the rebuild kit compatible with later model 5eat (08+)?

Cheers

Mick

Tested on my car @ 321 whp and enduring my incredibly hard, beat it up style of driving on a daily basis. Lots of 2500 RPM launches and a half dozen or so 3500 RPM launches. Bushings of course. No problems whatsoever, but only about 3,000 miles so far.

ClimberD will be doing full trans builds with these clutch packs in the future. The community will have to vet it in the end, but I'm quite confident of the clutch pack builds ability to hold power. VB mods highly recommended, of course. VB should be considered a stage 1 pre-requisite for a built trans.

Doc, the 8/8/6/3 will hold up to whatever you can put in front of it, I believe. David and I have talked about what you're looking for, and I think you may be a good R&D tester if you're interested.

Tested on my car @ 321 whp and a enduring my incredibly hard, beat it up style of driving on a daily basis. Lots of 2500 RPM launches and a half dozen or so 3500 RPM launches. Bushings of course. No problems whatsoever, but only about 3,000 miles so far.

ClimberD will be doing full trans builds with these clutch packs in the future. The community will have to vet it in the end, but I'm quite confident of the clutch pack builds ability to hold power. VB mods highly recommended, of course. VB should be considered a stage 1 pre-requisite for a built trans.

Doc, the 8/8/6/3 will hold up to whatever you can put in front of it, I believe. David and I have talked about what you're looking for, and I think you may be a good R&D tester if you're interested.

Absolutely interested

Problem is climber isnt making the 08 + vb yet

Pm me for what I can do...

Mick

Quick question. I am wanting to build a transmission and just drop it in. Would a 2005 LGT Auto work in my 2006 OBXT?

Absolutely not. You could do a far more elaborate swapping of parts of the transmission and rear diff to get to something that would work, very frankenstein. It would be messy.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 month later...

Archived