LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest: DIY 5EAT built rebuild kits

ClimberDHexMods

Would you spend $1000 on a DIY 5EAT race rebuild kit?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend $1000 on a DIY 5EAT race rebuild kit?

• Yes, and I would do all the wrenching myself
    • Yes, but I would have my mechanic do the work
    • No, I'll leave this to my transmission shop

so glad I have a spare 5EAT just hanging around, waiting for your next invention.

Depending on your instructions and no need for specialty tools (???) I'd probably tackle this myself.

(As long as your instructions are much more thorough than frank-sters) hahahah.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really need to clean up the landscape of my vendor pages, it's on the list. The center diff bushings are available with a two-week lead time.

BTW, in October I have some exciting things in the works:

1) Getting a RacerX FMIC.

2) Bigger intake (86mm :lol:), then switching to E85 once scaled.

3) Will do things my current setup does not practically allow, such as high boost launches, and general flogging of the 5EAT with a power level closer to 400whp than 300whp.

The whole point is to push the transmission so I can say with confidence "rated to 530bhp" or whatever the end result is.

I am doing my own tuning since I want to develop that skill set. Infamous1 got my current tune most of the way there, which is really nice.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 4 weeks later...

1/2 way throught October, how you doing on those power tests???

I really need to clean up the landscape of my vendor pages, it's on the list. The center diff bushings are available with a two-week lead time.

BTW, in October I have some exciting things in the works:

1) Getting a RacerX FMIC.

2) Bigger intake (86mm :lol:), then switching to E85 once scaled.

3) Will do things my current setup does not practically allow, such as high boost launches, and general flogging of the 5EAT with a power level closer to 400whp than 300whp.

The whole point is to push the transmission so I can say with confidence "rated to 530bhp" or whatever the end result is.

I am doing my own tuning since I want to develop that skill set. Infamous1 got my current tune most of the way there, which is really nice.

It's been slow. FMIC is here. Part of the new turbo kit just came it. Brakes are getting done at present. Work gets in the way sometimes, but I have a plan for that :)
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You can count me in.. how long do you think it would take for prototyping and whatnot? I'll just pay you to do all 3 at the same time next year. I won't be able to do it next month like I had hoped.. ended up moving (actually doing that next week) so that eats up my vacation time :(

• 5 weeks later...
Not even in the development stage yet. Later today I start renting a garage space. That will make my LGT 5eat work life a lot better. Hopefully some fun new products like these will follow.

Apparently I own 3 transmissions plus the one in my car. Going to slowly move them all to the new space, one at a time, then rebuild them or harvest their organs for transplants. Fun fun. First though the valve body projects.

David, where in Dallas are you? The company I drive for has a yard in Hutchins (or Hutchinson?) and I'm trying to think of ways to get my car to you.. I have to check with the DOT laws about transporting my own car on a flatbed truck (since I drive a truck). Or I might just buy a hitch and rent a trailer.. I'm not sure yet.

Sorry about that. I'll get it at some point, after I get the twinscroll kit running and the car happy :). My project wagon happens to be my only Trans transportation vehicle.

David, where in Dallas are you? The company I drive for has a yard in Hutchins (or Hutchinson?) and I'm trying to think of ways to get my car to you.. I have to check with the DOT laws about transporting my own car on a flatbed truck (since I drive a truck). Or I might just buy a hitch and rent a trailer.. I'm not sure yet.

I just started renting a garage space in Richardson/Plano, and I can rent a lift bay in Denton if desired.

When everything is cold and you go from P/N to D, and it bites pretty damn firm? That's a side effect of a lot more line pressure. TCU is tuned for stock valve body's engagement, so modded VB is doing it much faster, and TCU does not appear to have enough of a self-calibration range to learn down the P/N->D shifts. I does however appear to shift smoothly once ATF gets warmed up. So call it a reminder that you have a modded valve body, once per cold start.

No, car is in park and I turn the key to start the car. Car surges forward, while in park, about an inch or so. Flat ground, no E brake engaged.

Shift cable may not be lined up properly, though that is awfully strange. I do not know the answer to that one. You can swap out valve bodies to see if it cures the issue. I can supply you one for no charge (warranty). But I would be a bit surprised. Basically some pressurized fluid would need to be getting blown to the "Forward Brake", which may be due to a valve that is caught in the open position momentarily during startup or something like that... I don't know.

I think this is definitely the solution many of us, especially with modded VBs, were waiting for. It should inject new life in older trannies.

If I am getting this right, what you end up in the end is the same clutch material but more of them, which means better capacity, am I right? Or did you finally find a source of stronger aftermarket clutches?

For those that compare this to IPT, the rebuild kit is the wrong comparison. Ask them the price for machining and fitting extra clutches in there. From what I know, they only do it on the full built tranny which is orders of magnitude more expensive.

I remember paying for my IPT 5eat.. Ahhhhh!!

I almost bought the full $4X00 deal myself a while back... to be honest if you want minimal fuss and say have a 600whp LGT, then throw in the Hex F1 and bulletproof bushings into the IPT built trans, and at that point if the 5eat can't hack all that then I don't know how you could do better. This product idea is just another way to accomplish the same thing: more grip surface.

Archived