LegacyGT.com

05 LGT - High mileage, get rid of OEM up pipe?

Geegeez

Hi,

My 05 LGT just crossed the 100000 kms (~62k miles) mark. I'm still on the original turbo and OEM stock uppipe, which is of course catted in this model year.

Should I be switching to a catless uppipe as a preventative measure to mitigate risk against grenading of the cat/EGT sensor into the turbo? Will I need a tune afterwards? What other implications are there to consider (I am aware of the resistor mod required)?

Thanks.

I always think its a good idea to go with a catless UP. You don't need a tune just for an UP. Though if you were ever thinking about going stage 2, this would be a good time since the DP must come off to replace the UP.

Thanks for the info. I think Stage 2 is a definite possibility next year, although I need to complete a full suspension and braking upgrade first. I suppose that I'll have to suck it up and replace the uppipe as a preventative even if I'm not replacing the downpipe at this time.

Since I will be losing a cat, is there another one in the DP/mid/Y- sections on an otherwise stock 05 LGT? We have emissions tests where I am so I will be needing to worry about those as well.

You may want to look in the for sale and see if you can get a used DP.

Make sure you check the shaft play in the turbo and remove the banjo filter on the back of the head.

What do you think you need for a brake upgrade ?

Check out the suspension forum for ideas.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since I will be losing a cat, is there another one in the DP/mid/Y- sections on an otherwise stock 05 LGT? We have emissions tests where I am so I will be needing to worry about those as well.

FYI, the UP cat is merely a pre-cat and is pretty superfluous with the two stock DP cats doing most of the "heavy lifting" with respect to emissions reductions. My CA smog check results from this summer, running a Cobb Stage 1 map w/ a Bosal catless UP and stock DP (2 cats), were:

HC idle: Max. 100, Avg. 17, Measured 2

HC 2,500 rpm: Max. 130, Avg. 12, Measured 5

CO% idle: Max. 1.00, Avg. 0.00, Measured 0.05

CO% 2,500 rpm: Max 1.00, Avg. 0.10, Measured 0.00

The only thing I was above average on was idle CO%, but I was still well below the max allowed.

Replacing the UP would be a good idea. We've started to see some 02 WRXs where the cat dislodges from the housing and either destroys the turbo or comes extremely close. An STi UP, Invidia, whatever one you want, it is a good idea. If you notice spool up is getting diminished or weird noises it might be ready to go or already to late. I know it sounds scary but the cost of the UP and install is WAY less than a new turbo.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Doesn't the STi uppipe fit the 4th gen LGT perfectly, and also have no cat? If so, you should be able to find one used pretty cheap either on this forum, or maybe NASIOC.

-Bishop

It does, but has no provisions for the EGT. So you'll either need to weld in a bung to accept it, or delete it with a resistor

Yep, in the process of picking up a used uppipe from an 04 STi in good condition. I'm aware of the resistor trick so I'll probably just do that to avoid the CEL.

EDIT: I did also notice lag getting worse and worse over the past few months. I got my LGT at the beginning of July and the turbo seemed to kick in much quicker back then. Now it seems like I never feel the boost - or perhaps I'm just used to it? I don't push the car that hard as it's my DD. My mechanic says that my oil lines are good and the filter looked okay last time. /shrug

Archived