LegacyGT.com

5MT - Not going into gear

JMoney

Just bought a 06 and have been having issues recently. The tranny will not go into gear without a lot of pushing. It's mostly when the car has been sitting, from a start.

It does get better and easier to shift into 1st when the car is warmer. I've recently changed the fluid to Royal Purple but it was doing it before I changed the fluid.

The car doesn't pop out of gear, doesn't grind between shifts, so I'm not sure if me thinking the syncro's are the issue here.

Anyone else have an idea?

What fluid did it have in it before you changed it. ?

Which RP did you use ?

One of the cocktails that is recommended in 3 Redline lightweight shockproof and the balance Mutol 300 75w-90

PM, BAC5.2 he's good with these things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll just post!

Royal Purple has routinely given me poor results.

3 quarts of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and the remainder Motul Gear 300 in 75W90 is the fluid I have been recommending for years with no complaints.

If the car had a short shifter at one point, the bolts holding the fork to the lever might be too tight.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Funny you mention the short shifter.

My 05 has a OEM STI STS, I just tighten the vertical bolt the other night. It had come lose and fell onto the support rod. I tighten it as much as I could and used a lock washer to make sure it wouldn't come lose again. Car shifts fine.

The torque spec is 13ftlbs on those 12mm nut's.

BAC5.2 you should remember this is the tranny with the extra NA synchro.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Does the clutch pedal seem to be adjusted properly (pedal height, pedal throw)? Does the pedal feel firm when you push it down? A hydraulic problem or a mis-adjusted pedal could give you this issue, along with everything that people have already mentioned.

Strange enough the adjustment for the freeplay is over the gas pedal. I usually remove the gas pedal sensor connector, then use a stubby 12mm wrench and a small pair of vice grips to rotate the shaft. I think you can also loosen the clutch interlock switch at the clutch pedal and adjust the pedal height as well. It's been some time since I did this though.

The manual has you measuring the throw as well. I did it their way and still didn't get a great "feel" so I just went between the pedal height and freeplay to get the best feeling.

It is important to know that too much throw is just as bad as not enough.

I appreciate the advise. Before the change it was stock fluid, likely never changed. I'm going to try uncle scottys cocktail. I used it in my BD and had great results.

Do not use that cocktail.

Synchromesh will actively destroy the transmission. Those who use it without issue, get lucky. You are playing Russian Roulette with an automatic. And by no means at all, should Synchromesh be used in a rear diff. It's SLIGHTLY less dangerous to use it in the rear diff, but using it in the transmission is a recipe for a rebuild.

Use the mix I suggested. If it grinds with my combo, then something is physically broken. For the rear diff, use Motul Gear300 in 75W90.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Funny you mention the short shifter.

My 05 has a OEM STI STS, I just tighten the vertical bolt the other night. It had come lose and fell onto the support rod. I tighten it as much as I could and used a lock washer to make sure it wouldn't come lose again. Car shifts fine.

The torque spec is 13ftlbs on those 12mm nut's.

BAC5.2 you should remember this is the tranny with the extra NA synchro.

I still don't understand that synchro issue. I've never seen that before, but I also might not be understanding exactly what your guy did. Or your transmission was an extreme oddity.

• 2 months later...
I had extra-s when the issue started. Its really strange, everything was perfectly fine til i took it to the dealership to see if they can fix a noise in the tranny. They said they can't pin point the problem with out pulling the trans and said they didn't do anything to the car.

A tricked I figured out was from a cold start, put it into first and roll up just an inch. Seriously it works, and it will go into reverse just fine after that. Might not be exactly on topic, but just putting it out there for everyone who wonders why they cant get it into reverse without grinding it.

I had extra-s when the issue started. Its really strange, everything was perfectly fine til i took it to the dealership to see if they can fix a noise in the tranny. They said they can't pin point the problem with out pulling the trans and said they didn't do anything to the car.

FWIW, check the clutch fork. make sure the slave cyclinder piston is pushing straight back not on a angle.

You may have a TOB going or something in the pressure plate is not right.

If the clutch system in not the problem it most likely internal in the trans.

• Mega Users
A tricked I figured out was from a cold start, put it into first and roll up just an inch. Seriously it works, and it will go into reverse just fine after that. Might not be exactly on topic, but just putting it out there for everyone who wonders why they cant get it into reverse without grinding it.

+1

sticky trans from 1st to reverse has been an issue for me from day 1. I change my tranny fluid every 30k. When I first start the car for a drive, its usually in first, Just release the clutch so you get about 150rpm drop, and then shift right into reverse with no problems. Tranny still shifts just like it did when I drove it off the lot 75k ago.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Was this every resolved? I have the same issue.... I've tried the 3 qt of redline and qt of Motel, didn't work..

Something is broken, then.

To get in Reverse, shift to 4th first. The Reverse synchro sucks.

Something is broken, then.

To get in Reverse, shift to 4th first. The Reverse synchro sucks.

Maybe... Question though, what can or would a dealership touch (without pulling the tranny) that may cause this problem?

Imma check the bolt(s) and slave tomorrow.

What noise was there in the transmission that they were trying to diagnose?

Of course it sucks. there isn't one. ;)

Incorrect.

Are you sure? Everything I read here last time I went looking said that Reverse doesn't have a synchro but everything else does. :confused:

Of course I'm sure. I've had thousands of these transmissions apart.

Everything you read is wrong. The Reverse synchro sits on the back of 5th gear. It sucks, so it's good practice to use the 4th gear synchro to stop the shaft, then select reverse.

Archived