LegacyGT.com

steering feel, legacy 2.5i vs wrx

naimouasta

my brother has a 2009 wrx. i have a legacy 2.5i. we have basically the same mods. springs + group n tops + koni's + front control arm bushings + LCA offset bushing + camber bolts (-2.0 degrees).

when i did those mods, my car felt a lot better than stock, but the wrx still feels better :mad:. its steering is still heavier and more direct.

is it because of the steering rack ratio or is it other things? i plan to do steering rack bushings too, but at the same time if its the steering rack itself i might change that out too. there are no real big differences between the two though right as far as geometry/dimensions/hydraulics? visually they both look the same.

also how much does the sway bars affect steering feel? we are both still on the stock bars for now. obviously his are bigger bars.

I'm guessing it's mostly the tires. The difference between my snow tires and summer tires is huge. I'm guessing the stock 2.5i tires feel more like my snow tires than my summer tires.

The 2009 WRX has an extremely slow 16.5:1 ratio if I recall correctly, slower even than a 2005-2009 LGT's 15:1. So the WRX is probably on par with a 2.5i ratio-wise.

If the WRX has a stiffer suspension than a 2.5i that would affect steering too, though more feel than weighting. The WRX is pretty soft though.

o yea, unrelated, but one thing i noticed when i jacked up my brothers car using two jacks at the front/rear jacking points; the car is totally balanced left to right. my legacy as well as the two older subies in the family, the cars always want to tip towards the driverside. i always use a third jack on the driverside to keep it level until i can stick jackstands under the car.

Archived