LegacyGT.com

P400 - how to clean the BPT intake ???

I've been getting the P400 code, it is not constant and can go a while before appearing again. I cleaned the EGR valve and it was clogged. It moves now according to the book. The BPT tests ok. The port that goes into the intake for the bottom hose of the BPT was totally clogged. I've been pouring some Sea Foam into it. I can't even run a wire through it. Short of attaching something to a drill, how do you get the dried carbon removed from the port pipe? Any ideas are appreciated. I am assuming I should feel vacuum when touching the port/pipe?

I've been getting the P400 code, it is not constant and can go a while before appearing again. I cleaned the EGR valve and it was clogged. It moves now according to the book. The BPT tests ok. The port that goes into the intake for the bottom hose of the BPT was totally clogged. I've been pouring some Sea Foam into it. I can't even run a wire through it. Short of attaching something to a drill, how do you get the dried carbon removed from the port pipe? Any ideas are appreciated. I am assuming I should feel vacuum when touching the port/pipe?

I don't think seafoam is a good idea. I think the diaphragm inside the BPT can be ruined by seafoam. You might have to replace it. They're $50 on ebay, but I got mine for $20 about a year ago

Yes you are correct and I wouldn't use safoam inside the BPT. I am trying to clean the hard carbon out of the metal tube that is connected to the the bottom hose of the BPT. The EGR was a totally clogged mess and the metal tube was also a clogged mess.
I don't think seafoam is a good idea. I think the diaphragm inside the BPT can be ruined by seafoam. You might have to replace it. They're $50 on ebay, but I got mine for $20 about a year ago

Thanks. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif I've been spraying carb cleaner in the hole and using a piece of hanger. The hanger would not push through and I was guessing that the diameter was too big. I'll go pick up some cleaning brushes. When I have the hose off the tube, with engine running I get no vacuum .......it has to be clogged. I think the clogged tube could be why I am getting code P400. Getting a new BPT wouldn't do anything if the tubes are clogged. Once the tubes are unclogged and then I can see if I need new parts.

Remove tube and soak in gas. A stiff wire should pass through it.

A .17 cal cleaning brush (for air gun) would work until the tube bends. Use from both ends.

O.

Apparently code 400 is not always easy to fix because it can't be sure which part is at fault. Cleaned the passages well, fogged the engine with Seafoam spray, cleared the code and drove a lot yesterday. No 400 code. My son drove it to school and back plus around town today, no code. He drove it tonight and it threw the 400 code. It seems that going up or down hills may have something to do with it. I've removed the EGR a few times and have a gasket on order. You can only re-torque those metal gaskets a few times before they are shot. Searching the Net it seems that code 400 is endemic with Subaru's. Never did find a .17 brush that has a flexible shaft. Before entering the manifold area the shaft bends a bit. Tomorrow I am getting out the vacuum gauge to see if I have any vac leaks. I am also very, very surprised at the amount of carbon that has built up in this car.

Remove tube and soak in gas. A stiff wire should pass through it.

A .17 cal cleaning brush (for air gun) would work until the tube bends. Use from both ends.

O.

Indeed the 400 series of codes are a trip.

I would try a salvage car egr solenoid valve. (oem is too expensive), and/or EGR valve itself and maybe the tube also.

The newer looking engine the better.

You can let the tube soak in something strong before installing. If necessary one cleaner after the other. ie Hoppes#9, gas,pb blast, etc.

O.

The tube looks as thought it is part of the manifold and can't be removed. It is the tube that has a vac hose that attaches to the bottom of the BPT. I found something to use as a cleaner rod but it seems that - A: the tube where it enters the manifold is smaller than the top metal tube B: the hose has a very hard piece of carbon at the end that won't allow my cleaner rod to go through. While looking around I have noticed that a 95 Subbie Legacy has a lot of vac hoses running everywhere and some go under the manifold to an awful area to reach to replace. I might make a trip to the bones yard and pick up an EGR valve and solenoid. Interesting thoughts from Aldata on a 98 Outback 400 code. I imagine this statement is why code 400 is a bear to find - "The computer will use information from other sensors, that don’t seem related to the EGR system, to determine if it is functioning. If one of these others sensor is not reporting correctly you’ll keep getting EGR system codes when there is no system problem." http://www.alldatadiy.com/techtips/Subaru/20040301a.html

Indeed the 400 series of codes are a trip.

I would try a salvage car egr solenoid valve. (oem is too expensive), and/or EGR valve itself and maybe the tube also.

The newer looking engine the better.

You can let the tube soak in something strong before installing. If necessary one cleaner after the other. ie Hoppes#9, gas,pb blast, etc.

O.

Its a 12mm bolt IIRC that holds the tube. But it is usally rusted in there pretty good.

Use the little tube that comes with any strong spray. Let it soak a few. Use a torch (protecting any wires) and get it hot. Let it cool and then more carb cleaner and finally the wire to try and get through to the end of the tube. Heat should break down that carbon.

O.

Archived