LegacyGT.com

Best brakes?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha really? What happens when your out driving windy roads and an animal jumps out or something unexpected? Just cause I know how to drive doesn't mean I can stop sooner with lesser brakes, agreed?

Brokn, good point, better brakes never hurt but for my brokeass, diminishing returns just ain't worth it. And no, the stock brakes suck balls.

Well about the deer...here's the thing:

Cones are responsible for color vision, better detail during the daytime but shitty at night, rods are responsible for night vision, better night vision, less detail, and better periphery vision. Deer actually switch between the two, and they 'freeze' due to two reasons.

1) At night, the deer has switched to its night vision rods, when you approach, you are blinding the shit out of it and it is freezing while its eyes try to switch back to cones. Just turn off your headlights and allow the animal to see for a second. It's analogous to you wearing night vision goggles at night and out of nowhere you get a flashlight beam in your face.

2) They also freeze, because their natural instinct is to react from predators (mountain lion) that RUN. They are used to seeing contours of the mountain lion's legs moving. From the deer's perspective, your car coming at them is some weird square getting larger and larger.

;)

I upgraded to EBC 3GD slotted and dimpled rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads on all four wheels.

I think it is a significant improvement over stock. They do produce slightly more dust, and have a whirring sound which is only heard with the windows open and at low speeds.

I got them from Super Brakes Warehouse for about $350.

I went with the slotted and dimpled rotors because they were the same price as the slotted rotors.

Unfortunately, when I was attempting to bleed the brakes, the bleed screw snapped off on the front caliper. Fortunately, it was in the closed position when it snapped. Still stinks.

• I Donated
the stock brakes suck balls.

It depends on what you're using them for. In normal day to day driving, they perform just as good or better then most vehicles on the road.

My stock brakes are MORE then enough for day to day driving....and a little bit of fun.

Like I said before, brakes are needed on the basis of driving style / conditions. For NORMAL driving, stock brakes are more then enough (the 4 wheel disk at least).

If you expecting high performance braking out of stock, then you're going to be disappointed.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
I suggest doing the other upgrades before a swap. You would be shocked what you can get out of the stock brake setup. EBC or Hawk pads, SS lines, MC brace, etc will all make a world of difference

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Stainless steel brake lines didn't do anything for pedal feel. Until they are heated up in which after abusing the brakes the pedal is still soft but firm. It just helps with consistency.

The stock L brakes are borderline dangerous. The single pot front brakes are terrible on the L models.

Archived