LegacyGT.com

Best brakes?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought HPS Sport Pads and put Centric Cryo-Stop rotors on my car and I am happy.

The sport pads are a massive improvement over the stock brakes, but still don't throw off TOO much dust. They do squeak at a certain braking point, but it's worth the increase. The only thing to be wary of is that the FIRST brake application you do on a cold day the pedal will travel a LOT further since they need to be warmed up. Overall, though, these pads add an entirely new level of confidence to the car.

The Centric rotors are nice. The only reason I got them, really, was that they were painted black so they wouldn't rust to orange and look awful.

Depending one what you how far you want to go you can:

Replace the rotors, and pad with something such as slotted rotors and performance street pads. For the price its quick and easy and will give life back to your braking system. This can be had for 100-200 bucks.

Replace the calipers with 02-03 wrx front and H6 rear rotors along with performance pads. Wrx setup utilizes a larger rotor than stock. The h6 rear upgrade takes the adapters for the H6 and raises your stock caliper to fit in a larger rotor for your 1 pots. This upgrade you will need stock 16inch snow flakes or larger to clear. This upgrade is cheap and can be found for around 300-400)

Or for a little more doe you can get 06/07 wrx 4 pots front and 2pots rear along with performance pads. 4pots have alot more stopping power, utilizes a larger rotor than the older wrx's and the 4pots instead of 2. The rear uses a vented rotor instead of a non vented rotor. There are also jdm versions of these that you can find, that were used on older wrx and GC's; those to will bolt on. I only seen the rare 16inch rs 5 spoke wheels clear these brakes other than that you will need 17inch wheel or larger to clear these. These can range from 400-600 bucks.

I heard of people using 05+ lgt calipers and rotors. The calipers are no different than wrx ones, probably a larger adapter to raise the calipers and they have 316mm rotors up front to stop them. They still use the 2pot/1pot caliper style.

or if you want to go all out in stopping power 2004(only as its the only STi that is 5x100) 4pots and rear 2pots brembos with performance pads. These are the largest rotors subaru made at 324mm. This upgrade requires 17 wheels or larger; some 17 wheels will not clear the brembos. This upgrade can run you betweek 800-1200 bucks.

Dont forget your brake upgrade necessities:

SS lines

Master cylinder brace

performance brake fluid

upgraded brake booster if necessary

I personally have and like the wrx/h6 setup yet I am going with the 06/07 setup later. I have hawk pads and centric basic rotors and my car has a great feel. The h6 rear helps keeps the balance perfect and keeps the car from dipping and putting work on the front brakes. The hawk pads wil lhold up till they are done and even after that! Only draw back is a crap ton of brake dust and it shows you how much thanks to having white wheels. Other than that I love my setup as it is now but would like to add more too it. Oh yeah motul racing brake fluid kicks ass over the stuff I had oem stuff.

• I Donated
04 STI Brembos is probably the best way to go. You can run 05+ STI Brembos as well, but you would have to change over steering knuckles....the 04 brakes bolt right on though

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Depending one what you how far you want to go you can:

Replace the calipers with 02-03 wrx front and H6 rear rotors along with performance pads. Wrx setup utilizes a larger rotor than stock. The h6 rear upgrade takes the adapters for the H6 and raises your stock caliper to fit in a larger rotor for your 1 pots. This upgrade you will need stock 16inch snow flakes or larger to clear. This upgrade is cheap and can be found for around 300-400).

[/QUOTE]

Do I need brackets for the calipers or just the calipers themselves. And just for clairification I use H6 rear rotors on the front? Is that pricing for reman stuff or salvage yard parts? This seems like the best option for me since I already have the 16" snowflakes. I'm not looking to buy bigger wheels.

for the WRX fronts you will need the wrx bracket, caliper, pads, and rotor.

You cant use h6 rear rotors on the Front. The rear rortors are a solid non vented rotors. All front rotors are vented from what I know but to play it safe I am going to say 2nd gens and up have vented rotors. The pricing isnt accurate but it will give you a price range on what they go for on the forums. Always save for the high price but bargin for the low price. there are brake some companies that offer packages for this and other upgrades. But look around on the wrx forums and of course rs25 for deals there too.

• I Donated

If you have a GT or OB...brakes are not that bad.

I actually prefer the stock Outback brakes in my OB over the WRX brakes in the sedan

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I've found the calipers for the 02-03 WRX from Advance Auto for about $60 ea with brackets. Sadly though I've got some other issues to take care of at the moment. I need to put in a coolant temp sensor and solve a misfire. This will project will be put on hold until next month.

Im still undecided about what I want. WEST, let me know when you wanna upgrade and Ill buy your setup now.

The brake feel from stock to wrx/H6 was such a big improvement that I have no desire to want more.

Edit: And I agree with what Baddog said. STI brakes are unnecessary for 2.2 and 2.5. Just learn how to drive.

The brake feel from stock to wrx/H6 was such a big improvement that I have no desire to want more.

Edit: And I agree with what Baddog said. STI brakes are unnecessary for 2.2 and 2.5. Just learn how to drive.

Haha really? What happens when your out driving windy roads and an animal jumps out or something unexpected? Just cause I know how to drive doesn't mean I can stop sooner with lesser brakes, agreed?

• I Donated

The more stopping power the better.

With that being said...I must say that a 300 horsepower Legacy will stop in the same distance as a 150 horsepower Legacy (if they have the same brakes / tires).

Brakes should NOT be upgraded based on how much power the car has. They should be upgraded based on the driving style / conditions. More horsepower doesn't equal longer stopping distances.

Seriously....Why would it be bad to have BETTER brakes? They may be "unnecessary" for you, but for someone like me they would actually serve me pretty well. If your car is a grocery getter, leave the stock brakes. If you plan on doing any kind of amateur performance driving, your stock brakes will probably do just fine. If you are a SERIOUS driver and you actually race, then a brake upgrade is probably for you.

I agree and disagree with the "learn how to drive" comment. It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are. If your brakes are not adequate for your style of driving, then they need to be upgraded. However, in NORMAL driving conditions, the Legacy stock brakes (4 wheel disk at least) is enough stopping power.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

JAC WAGON

forsure ill sell you my setup after I upgrabe but first the car needs to be moving in order for it to stop lololol

As for the discussion about larger the better, yess, the bigger the better, and the safer. I not saying stop what project your working on and go buy an STI set of brakes but to buy within your means, how your going to be treating your car and what it will see on the road, expected and unexpected.

My car is going to remain stock other than the usual bolt ons so I am in no way making a shit load of power. But what my car will see are track days, autox, and downhill mountain runs(where brakes are your best friend). The unexpected is those f ups in autox or track days where you overlook a corner and find yourself not going where you want to go, a deer jumping out at you during a night mountain run, or the 17 year old girl who slams on her brakes because she wasn't paying attention.

My setup now is good for this, but because I am now use to how the brakes feel, and have a sense of its capabilities, I have a feeling I have max them out. 4pots will give me a new challenge and see how far I can put them to the test as I want to stop quicker and be ready to slam on the brakes when the unexpected happens.

my .02

I will add more to this lets sticky itt lol

I both agree and disagree with the statement bigger is better. I think tires also play an important role in the stopping power of brakes. You can have big old 4 pots but if your on 195/60r16 Tiger Paws your not going to be stopping any faster than if you had decent tires and stock brakes. Big brakes and cheap tires means your just going to be locking them up all the time. I think matching brakes to to stopping power of the tires is the better way to go then just fitting the biggest possible brakes you can find.

I think the argument is when Big brake kits are necessary, and most of the time, it isn't.

So I've had three different setups. For budget and autocross use. WRX swap fronts and H6 rears, Stainless lines, and good pads is a great way to go. I say do this mod and never look back.

I eventually swapped to STI fronts and rears when I did the complete swap. Was it an improvement? Yes, but it is very expensive to do the full STI brembo swap. It was a nice improvement on the road coarse.

I finally upgraded the fronts to 332mm Stoptech kit. And it was about as dramatic of a change from going from the WRX to STI. A slight improvement, but an improvement. It mostly shows slowing down from the back straight of Pacific Raceways at 135+.

The rabbit hole is deep, it just depends on how far you want to go. :-)

Another thing to look at is swapping the STI brake master cylinder. Most of the time you are looking for improved brake "feel". It is on the list of items I have planned next.

good tires I think will make the true difference when it comes to stopping. bigger brakes are better yes. But can do nothing unless you have good contact with the road.

This. You can get PLENTY out of your brakes just with a good set of aftermarket pads... enough of an improvement that there will be plenty of other things to upgrade before you really benefit from STi brakes.

Those sport pads I threw on my Outback can now lock up the tires with EASE (as in not even pushing the pedal all the way to the floor.)

...granted... my tires are complete crap.

Archived