LegacyGT.com

Fuel Smell in cabin- very potent

I filled up the tank in my legacy the other day for the first time since I bought it (have only owned it about a month now) and while I was driving I noticed a very strong smell of fuel throughout the inside of the car. I thought at first maybe I spilled some on myself (clumsy) but when I filled up for the second time, (last week) I smelled it again. It smells like that the entire cycle to empty and I cant figure it out. I recently changed my fuel filter and thought perhaps one of my lines were punctured, but I checked it and its not. I know I have lines running alongside the floor in the cabin, but I cant think about how they would be ruptured. I did notice that along the seam of the fuel tank there is some seepage, but not sure if that is the reason why.

So basically I wanted to know if this is possibly a common problem, or if anyone has experienced it and has any advice. Also, if anyone has any idea where I may find a decent priced fuel tank that would be great as well.

Thanks

Carla

• I Donated

Your fuel pump is accessible by taking the back seat off....so if the lines at the fuel pump are leaking, you will get a fuel smell inside the cab of the car.

Do you have a check engine light on? I know you said you just bought the car. If the light isn't on yet, it may turn on as soon as you complete the drive cycles. The reason I bring this up is because an evap system problem can as well cause this smell

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Yes i have a cel on. Its for fuel trim . I forgot the exact code but i cant get it to go out. I think i may have a bad a/f sensor or a bad cat.. but it could definitely be related to the fuel smell. Ill check the lines to the tank.

do you back out of your drive way first thing in the morning? i do, and in the winter, the car fills with fuel smell.

check for leaks in the filler neck and the fuel lines and if they look ok i would suspect your o2 sensor.

is your MPG off?

My mpg sucks! I mean i know its not a prius or anything but my mpg is as bad as my stealth! And thats a 6 cyl! I think my filler neck is leaking but i have to check tge lines tonight. Easy access in cabin ? Just remove rear seat?

My mpg sucks! I mean i know its not a prius or anything but my mpg is as bad as my stealth! And thats a 6 cyl! I think my filler neck is leaking but i have to check tge lines tonight. Easy access in cabin ? Just remove rear seat?

really bad MPG may indicate a bad o2 sensor if you do not have a fuel leak.

the filler leaking will leave a spot, puddle on the pavement after a fill up.

the fuel lines run along the rocker panels on the driver side. remove the plastic rocker panel covers and then unclip the carpet attachments. also look under the rear seat bottom.

also look under the rear of the car at the fuel tank. they can rust / leak at the seams in the tank.

Well there are no fuel spots that i noticed but the top of the filler neck is all rotted out. Also, the seams of my fuel tank are seeping. I was kinda hoping that isnt my issue. There is a new o2 sensor in there its the 2nd one. The first one i believe does need to be replaced as well.

Archived