LegacyGT.com

shift noise with 4eat.

• I Donated

"dropping the clutch" can cause all kinds of problems lol

You have 2 engine mounts, a torque mount, a trans mount, axles, and u-joints that can be damaged from dropping the clutch.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I drop shifted my auto from redline once in dirt just to see what would happen*...

It wasn't nearly as exciting as I though. When I did that with my old 5speed it spun all four wheels and took off, with this, it barely spun the wheels at all and took off. No better than brake boosting a launch, and a lot more risky.

*I have a good 5speed, all related parts, a spare auto, a spare engine, and pretty much every spare driveline bit you can think of in my garage. my car has 240k and beat to hell. I don't care if I break stuff in my driveway...

Torque converter lockup only happens in 4th gear when you're cruising along.

Stang, you might be thinking center diff lockup in 1st gear. It's closer to lock, but put it in first gear and do circles in parking lot. It doesn't bind like it's in 4wd.

TQ stall is around 2k, so why not just put it in D, hold the brake. Pin the gas and let off the brake when you want to go. That's not really bad for the transmission (just don't hold it too long else you can overheat it). And provides the launch of the TQ.

You'll get a lot more out of this than dropping it into gear at 2k, which doesn't really do much besides ruin the bands. You don't get the launch of the TQ doing it this way.

^ The 4eat is a surprisingly strong transmission. Chances are a flush and some adjustment of the bands will bring it back to new. It did for my 240k 4eat...

The 4eat is a much more reliable and strong transmission than the 5mt. Quite frankly.

Yes I like stick shifts better, and it's hard for me to admit this... but it's true.

Archived