LegacyGT.com

For those who have done the brembo swap, did you pedal improve?

Swine

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only mod to my brake system is the Sti MC/booster swap i did in July and I am not feeling the need to go any further.

This weekend I am going to put a dial indicator against the end of the MC and measure what the actual deflection is. I'm going to sound like Rao right now but I have a hard time believing that there's really enough deflection to warrant all the attention that's been given to that area. The way some people talk, it would seem that the fire wall in our cars (likely one of the most rigid parts of the car) is made out of wet noodle.

Well i have a 04 STI master cylinder and booster ready to swap in now, total spent? $80.

Also have the STI check valve line for an additional $12.

These 2 items along with a fluid and pad swap should make no need for a MC brace.

The mc brace in my mind is a bandaid, if you want the source of your parachute like brakes, you are going to change out the sub par MC and booster.

I just installed the Sti brembo calipers, and DBA rotors, i think they are Hawk HPS pads, the pads/rotors have 8Kmiles from the original owner, and this is how the car should feel, stout pedal, perfect modulation. It was raining, and it was just to bed in on the freeway, but the mushiness and enigmatic engagement is gone, had ss lines and good pads on the stock fronts before hand. Just look around for a good deal on brembo front calipers, you won't be sorry

/\ on your stock master and brake booster?

I just received my wilwood caliper brackets, lines and hardware the other day. I'm going to order my fsli-4 calipers once I sell my spare turbo and wheels. I'm looking forward to alleviating my pedal slop without havin to touch the master or booster.

yes sir, brake system as it sits,

stock booster, master cylinder, ss lines all around

sti 4 pots up front, dba slotted rotors, hawk street pads (forget specific type)

stock rears, dba slotted rotors, with hawk pads (forget specific type)

bled brakes w/ ate blue, it is dry now, going out to beat on it some more!

Good to know man! Everyone on the impreza forums keeps telling me my pedal slop is based on my two-stage brake booster. I keep telling them, the pedal assist has nothing to do with the slop BEFORE my brakes engage!

I'm guessing youre running hawk hps pads. They are street friendly versions and I've hear good things about them. The hp+ however, pretty aggressive and really dirty!

why would you not want to touch your master and booster?

also mazdaslo, swap your booster and mc, enjoy even better brakes then you have now.

its been confirmed by integroid(member on here, 580whp lgt wagon with sti 6spd and brembo's) that even with brembo's on the stock mc and booster the brakes are still lacluster.

• 4 months later...
Pedal feel with SS lines and Brembo front/rear swap (centric rotors, brembo pads) is simply amazing. As others have said, these are the brakes that our legacys should have left the factory with. I am very pleased with the result. Serious negative horsepower!

I'm doing my Brembo install tomorrow. Just calipers (F/R), with the stock lines for now. I have the GS MCB. Too much of a pita to do the booster and MC in my VDC car.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Centric high carbon fronts, premium rears, and Stoptech Street pads.

I'm hoping the parking brake isn't going to be a pita, but we will see.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Do you have the thicker e brake shoes? I'm assuming the centrics are sti fitment?

I was afraid of the ebrake but it wasn't that bad at all. Just a basic r&r procedure. I took both rear rotors off, then replaced the shoes one side at a time so I could reference the other side to see how the retaining springs fit. It really wasn't that bad. The rear SS lines were 10X more of a pita.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

I was somewhat happy with my stock brake setup with Carbotech XP8 pads, but got tired of the squealing.

I then upgraded to Brembos (F + R), dimpled and slotted EBC rotors up front, stock STi rotors at the rear, and AX6 pads.

Well, while it does seems better than the previous setup, it's only fine until I bring my old ass BMW M3 out of winter storage. That thing has brakes designed 20 years ago, single piston calipers all around, and with the only upgrade being Axxis Ultimate brake pads, it will outbrake the Subie like there's not tomorrow.

I mean really, the Brembos on the Subaru are probably worth 25% of the M3 itself, yet that thing brakes on a dime, it's like throwing an anchor out back, no matter how fast you're going.

What gives?

I did front and rear brembos with SS lines and the difference is night in day. With OEM brakes when I first got the car, I always wondered why the brakes felt worst than my old Accord V6.

Well, when I forst got the car, it was on stock pads and it was downright dangerous.

Swapped in some XP8s, new rotors, bled the calipers, it was night and day. In fact, much more of a difference than going from this (stock setup with XP8s) to the Brembo setup.

I wonder if the MC/BB swap could help me.

The MC/BB swap would definitely help. The brembo's were designed to work with that BB/MC. The sti unit will move more fluid with less pedal stroke and the booster will feel much less mushy. If you already dropped the cash on the full brembo swap, you owe it to yourself to spend <$100 more to get the proper bb/mc.

The MC/BB swap would definitely help. The brembo's were designed to work with that BB/MC. The sti unit will move more fluid with less pedal stroke and the booster will feel much less mushy. If you already dropped the cash on the full brembo swap, you owe it to yourself to spend <$100 more to get the proper bb/mc.

Unless you have a car with VDC, in which case you are screwed.

Archived