LegacyGT.com

Freaking valve cover bolt...

So I put a timing belt on today an that went so smooth. It on, car runs, good to go.

While I was in there I figured I would replace my leaking passenger side valve cover gasket because it has been leaking oil onto the exhaust giving me the smoke from the scoop look.

So I start it, fires right up, and I am feeling pretty good about it. Then I walk in front of the car and there is oil pouring out the front of it so I am like WTC?

I look under there and see it pouring out from the bottom left (the worst bolt to get to) and figure, "ah, must not had got it as tight as the others and it is leaking because of it. So what do I do? You guessed it, got under there and tighten it some more with a 6" long 10mm craftsman wrench and tightened it some more, and kept tightening it because the oil leak slowed. Then SNAP!

So now I had to take the valve cover back off and of course it is broken off nice and recessed in there and I am going to try to get a drill bit in there some how and get one of the back out screw things.

Anyone experienced this? Do anyone know if I can get a valve cover bolt at the parts store or do I need to get it from Subaru?

I have had luck on Hondas using a small screwdriver or small chisel and a hammer and rotating the screw in the off direction. Not sure you have that much room in there.

Also inspect the seal and the VC and make sure they are perfect. No cracks, tares...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well the car is back together, but I haven't started it yet because I want to let the silicone cure overnight. It took 4 hours to get that stupid stud out but fortunately I did not mess up the threads in the head. I went through right hand bits, left hand bits, and then finally one of those grab it bits. (not a bad design on those)

With all that said... does anyone have a valve cover bolt laying around they want to give me? It is one of the longer shanked ones. I put a temporary one in the top left so I can get it out easily, but I want to put a legit one back in there. PM me if you can help. (wouldn't mind paying for it either)

i don't think auto parts store would have those .. there " special "

Yeah, the parts store doesn't carry bolts like that.

The car is back together and no leaks in the valve cover. However here is a little car leak trivia:

Question: What kind of leak is grayish in color shows itself dripping off the front of the passenger side lower exhaust heat shield?

Look on McMaster-Carr, they have a very easy website to navigate, but their selection of metric in fine thread pitch is a bit wanting on occasion, then there is Olander, they have everything even used to fasten one thing to another thing, they even have threaded bone for wooden historical canoe restoration. The olander site is a bit of a chore to work through IMO.

Axle grease!

You are correct! Inner boot is busted on the passenger side. This is my next project and although it is an easy one, I need to save some money up to by a new one.

I order a new valve cover bolt from the dealer yesterday. They sell them individually.

Archived