LegacyGT.com

Continental Extreme Contact DW or ??

msilin

Hey everyone, just wanted to share an awesome deal I found for the continental extreme contact DWs.

Tire rack has it for 153 plus shipping for the 235/40/18 91Y SL . Now, I checked other stores and it looks like nobody else carries the SL version, its not even in continentals catalogue.

I don't know if it's a typo, but I showed it to Discount Tire Direct and they said they would price match their 95Y XLs with the 91Y SLs for 650 shipping included. Thats a pretty good step up from tire rack's price for the XL - 174x4 + 60 ship = 760. YMMV

Could anybody recommend a good set of summer tires for < 700 ? I was looking at the ventus evos but they have 60mm less tread UTQG , are directional, and about 2 lbs heavier -- might be worth the extra ~~ 75 $ I save to keep all that . Thanks everyone

Hey everyone, just wanted to share an awesome deal I found for the continental extreme contact DWs.

Tire rack has it for 153 plus shipping for the 235/40/18 91Y SL . Now, I checked other stores and it looks like nobody else carries the SL version, its not even in continentals catalogue.

I don't know if it's a typo, but I showed it to Discount Tire Direct and they said they would price match their 95Y XLs with the 91Y SLs for 650 shipping included. Thats a pretty good step up from tire rack's price for the XL - 174x4 + 60 ship = 760. YMMV

Could anybody recommend a good set of summer tires for < 700 ? I was looking at the ventus evos but they have 60mm less tread UTQG , are directional, and about 2 lbs heavier -- might be worth the extra ~~ 75 $ I save to keep all that . Thanks everyone

All manufactures rate wear differently, so the UTOG number can vary from one manufacturer to another. The Hankooks may last as long as the Contis despite a lower number, or they may even last longer.

I went from Direzza Z1 Star Specs to my Hankook Ventus Evos, and I'm happy with my Hankooks. I've also driven the BFG G-Force T/A KDW2s and I like them a lot as well. I used Yokohama S.Drives for about 2,000 miles and I really didn't like them.

UTQG is unitless, so it's only 60 less, not 60mm less.

Why are you concerned with the load rating? An XL tire will be more responsive than an SL tire of the same size, so why would you not want the XL? The DW and DWS are already known for having relatively soft sidewalls.

I run the 255/35/18 and 285/30/18 DW on my TTZ32. Those are both SL rated tires, and still handle well. Great tire in the rain, and stick like hell when it's dry. I have about 3K miles on them now, and they still look new.

FWIW, my son who's pretty picky just bought the Star Spec's for his R32 which he plans to auto-X and DD them. They look great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, my son who's pretty picky just bought the Star Spec's for his R32 which he plans to auto-X and DD them. They look great.

I've only heard phenominal things about the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and I considered them for my Z, but they only go as wide as 275.

Star Specs will out perform the DW's in terms of grip with the trade off being more road noise. Depends on how often you drag/auto-x.

Of course. The DW is a Max Performance Summer, the SS is an Extreme Performance Summer (one up from Max). The other tradeoff will be treadwear.

Archived