LegacyGT.com

Battery keeps dying

how long before the battery dies ?

If I dont drive it for about a week, I go to start it and its dead. I have a bike too which I usually take when its nice out so I dont drive it to much.

I hooked it up to the battery last nite and it said 12.57V then I came home from work this morning and it said 12.54V. Does that seem like a lot for over night? I put it back on now and im going to check it when I wake up around 6ish tonight. Ill post my finding. I also double checked the drain and I still only got .16A

There also doesnt seem to be any corrosion about the terminals either.

So I just checked it and I got 12.59v. So I dont know whats going on. Maybe I left a light on or something. I guess Ill just keep monitoring it if I dont drive it for a few days now that I have a MM.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having very similar problems on my 3rd gen leggy. not sure if it could be the aftermarket fogs? or possibly a stuck relay? and people keep mentioning things about voltage regulators? and now you say possibly the head unit?

I'm so lost lol i have no idea where to start. every time i find someone with a similar problem it seems like they haven't figured it out.

I doubt it's a voltage regulator. Most cars since the 90's have a trio of diodes (in the alternator ) that regulate the charging. Voltage regulator regulators use to be external on some cars. Not saying it can't be the alternator but anything can cause it which makes it hard to track down. You basically have to start with any known areas and start testing from there. My truck would drain the battery and come to find out the positive cable was partially broken at the starter.

Hmm. yeah thats what i figured about the voltage regulators. you know any thing in a head unit that would have a big enough draw to drain the battery over like a week or so?

i think its either that or something wrong with the way i wired my fog lights.

Check out the ground braid strap near the battery.

It is located on the drivers side head/valve cover and goes to the underside of the chassis. Mine was greenish in color and when I was doing my timing belt I wiggled it and the wire broke off at both ring terminals.

Even if it looks ok move the wire around a little and see if it is strong. The high heat in that area combined with mositure takes a toll on that wire.

Archived